Live bugs in rice. A drain hose dripping on ham. Fly on fish. Miami supermarket problems

Food being contaminated by bugs and liquid not meant to touch food lowlighted a South Miami-Dade supermarket’s failed state inspection.

That’s from an inspection included a plethora of violations at Bravo Supermarkets, 11247 SW 152 St., enough to fill six PDF pages. That’s about twice as long as the usual failed inspection for a supermarket or grocery store.

Florida Department of Agriculture inspectors can’t just shut down a store, food storage or food processing facility on first failed inspection. They can issue Stop Sale orders that take food off the shelves or Stop-Use Orders, which can take equipment or areas out of action and make doing business difficult.

Inspectors Wenndy Ayerdis and Catalina Ordonez made use of both restrictive tools in Tuesday’s visit to the Richmond Heights supermarket. Here are some of the violations she found (some were corrected as the Ag Department inspectors noted them).

In the food service, kitchen, meat and seafood areas, “Food employees did not wash hands between entering and exiting food preparation areas, donning new gloves and handling food items and equipment.” They also did this while wearing single-use gloves, which should’ve been then taken off, thrown away, followed by a washing of the hands and donning of new gloves.

Then again, a kitchen handwash sink had trays and pans stored in it — having anything in a handwash sink is a no-no — but didn’t have hot water.

And, in the backroom, there wasn’t a handwash sink. That’s there coconuts are sliced open for coconut water that’s bottled and sold, so there needs to be a handwash sink in the area. The coconut slicer was moved to the produce processing area, where there’s a handwash sink.

READ MORE: Rodent on food rack. Flies at P.F. Chang’s. See inspections at 15 Miami area restaurants

The ice machine in the backroom had “black, mold-like grime encrusted all over the interior housing and within the ice-making portion of the ice machine.”

Also in the backroom, there were “multiple flies flying around the ice machine and the boxes with produce.” Similarly, the produce processing room had “multiple flies flying throughout.”

The produce area also had a “hole in the ceiling over the preparation table” and a “wall air conditioning unit drain line draining directly into the handwash sink.”

The kitchen floor had a live roach, bringing down a Stop-Use Order on “all open food processing and handling in the kitchen area, all food-related equipment and utensils in the kitchen area” including the stove, oven and fryers.

Inspector Ayerdis released the Stop-Use Order the next day after checking that the area had been cleaned, sanitized and the store “implemented a pest management control program.

The kitchen also had a “wooden mortar used to mash plantains was found with a large crack spanning the length of the item.” That makes it impossible to clean properly. It was trashed after a Stop-Use Order.

Bravo Supermarket, 11247 SW 152nd St. DAVID J. NEAL/
Bravo Supermarket, 11247 SW 152nd St. DAVID J. NEAL/

The meat grinder was “under a leaking condensing unit in the meat room.”

The cold unit holding desserts for folks to peruse and grab had flan and various flavored Dominican cakes that were “unable to be determined to come from an approved source, with no valid permit or manufacturer information provided by the establishment.” Stop Sales hit 38 desserts, and they hit the trash.

A leaking drain hose in the reach-in cold unit with deli meats and cheeses dripped “directly on an open package of ham stored in the unit.” A Stop Sale dripped on the ham, which got tossed.

Other deli ham had been open for eight days. A package of mortadella had been open for 18 days. The limit is seven days. Stop Sale, Stop Sale, into the garbage.

A “dead fly was found in direct contact with a raw fish head in the seafood display cold unit.” The dead fly brought a Stop Sale to the dead fish.

The blades of the tenderizer in the seafood area had “old, yellow, dried-on conch residue.”

“Multiple knives used to cut fish were wedged between the wall and the ware wash sink.”

Out on the shelves, a “package of white rice on the retail display shelf was found with live grain insects.” Stop Sale on the rice.

There was an problem inside a food product in this aisle at a Bravo Supermarket. DAVID J. NEAL/
There was an problem inside a food product in this aisle at a Bravo Supermarket. DAVID J. NEAL/

Also in the retail area, “two large open-air display coolers filled with ice and unpackaged raw fish” were out there with tongs and plastic bags for customers. While this self-service setup has its conveniences, this provides no barrier to customer spit, snot and coughed up germs. The coolers were moved behind the counter, where they remained as of Friday, and “management was informed that raw, unpackaged food cannot be offered for consumer self-service. “

The cooked pork shoulder from the previous day, after cooling, when reheated needed to get to 165 degrees in two hours or it starts becoming mass transit for bacteria. Multiple trays of the pork shoulder measured 131 degrees to 147 degrees. Stop Sale. Basura.

The food in hot holding needed to be at least 135 degrees. Jamaican patties, cheese pastries, cheese tequenos, beef and cheese arepas, fried cheese and ham croquetas all fell well short. The inspectors dropped a bucket of Stop Sales on them.