Kiev rally canceled over protester memorial

View photos
Medics transport an injured protester during an attack of the Ukrainian House building in central Kiev, Ukraine, early Sunday, Jan. 26, 2014. New violence erupted in Ukraine's capital during the night as a large crowd attacked the government exposition and conference hall where police were stationed inside. Early Sunday, demonstrators were throwing firebombs into the Ukrainian House building and setting off fireworks, and police responded with tear gas. (AP Photo/Evgeny Feldman, Novaya Gazeta)

KIEV, Ukraine (AP) — Ukraine's opposition forces have called off a massive rally planned for Sunday because of the funeral for a protester killed in clashes with police last week.

Mikhail Zhiznevsky, 25, was one of two protesters who died of gunshot wounds on Wednesday. The opposition contends they were shot by police in an area where demonstrators had been throwing rocks and firebombs at riot police for several days.

The memorial service is to take place at Independence Square in the center of the Ukrainian capital, where protesters have established a large tent camp and held demonstrations around the clock since early December.

Sunday rallies in previous weeks have attracted especially large crowds, sometimes exceeding 100,000 people.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

After a violent night when protesters besieged a building where police were sheltering, Ukraine's capital is preparing for a large demonstration that will test the opposition's determination and authorities' patience.

Throughout Ukraine's two-month-long political crisis, Sunday rallies have typically attracted crowds of tens of thousands and sometimes much larger.

The latest rally comes a day after beleaguered President Viktor Yanukovych offered the country's prime minister post to one of the opposition's top leaders. While not rejecting the offer outright, Arseniy Yatsenyuk said more of the opposition's demands must be met, including Yanukovych's resignation. He vowed protests will continue.

Late Saturday, demonstrators threw firebombs and rocks into a building in central Kiev where about 200 police were sheltering. After several hours, the crowd formed a corridor and allowed police to leave.