Judge rejects delaying Zimmerman trial

MIKE SCHNEIDER
FILE - George Zimmerman, right, and attorney Don West, stand as the judge enters the courtroom in Seminole circuit court for a pretrial hearing, in Sanford, Fla., in this Saturday, June 8, 2013 file photo. Jury selection begins Monday June 10, 2013 in the second-degree murder trial, which is expected to last about six weeks. Martin's killing drew worldwide attention as it sparked a national debate about race, equal justice under the law and gun control.  (AP Photo/Orlando Sentinel, Joe Burbank, Pool)
FILE - George Zimmerman, right, and attorney Don West, stand as the judge enters the courtroom in Seminole circuit court for a pretrial hearing, in Sanford, Fla., in this Saturday, June 8, 2013 file photo. Jury selection begins Monday June 10, 2013 in the second-degree murder trial, which is expected to last about six weeks. Martin's killing drew worldwide attention as it sparked a national debate about race, equal justice under the law and gun control. (AP Photo/Orlando Sentinel, Joe Burbank, Pool)

SANFORD, Fla. (AP) — A Florida judge has denied a defense request to delay the start of the trial of a neighborhood watch volunteer charged in the fatal shooting of an unarmed teen.

Circuit Judge Debra Nelson rejected the delay request Monday in the first order of business on the first day of George Zimmerman's second-degree murder trial.

Zimmerman is charged with fatally shooting 17-year-old Trayvon Martin last year during a fight in a gated community outside Orlando.

Defense attorney Mark O'Mara says the defense needs several more weeks to prepare. He blamed prosecutors for a delay in turning over evidence and said he needs time to interview an attorney for Martin's family.

Prosecutors opposed the request for a delay.