• Home
  • Mail
  • Flickr
  • Tumblr
  • News
  • Sports
  • Finance
  • Celebrity
  • Answers
  • Groups
  • Mobile
  • More
Yahoo
    • Skip to Navigation
    • Skip to Main Content
    • Skip to Related Content
    News Home
    Follow Us
    • US
    • World
    • Politics
    • Tech
    • Science
    • Odd News
    • ABC News
    • Yahoo Originals
    • Katie Couric
    • Matt Bai

    Japan imposes asset freeze on North Korean shipping firm

    ReutersAugust 15, 2014

    TOKYO (Reuters) - Japan on Friday froze the assets of the operator of a North Korean ship seized for smuggling arms, the Foreign Ministry said, just as Tokyo is engaged in talks with Pyongyang to return Japanese citizens kidnapped by North Korean agents decades ago.

    The sanction against Ocean Maritime Management, which operated the ship detained near the Panama Canal a year ago carrying Soviet-era arms, follows similar steps by the United States and U.N. blacklisting of the North Korean firm in July.

    It is not immediately clear how much assets, if any, Ocean Maritime Management holds in Japan, the Finance Ministry said.

    North Korea in May agreed to reinvestigate the fate of Japanese citizens abducted by the reclusive state in the 1970s and 1980s. In return, Japan last month eased sanctions on the North, lifting travel curbs and allowing port calls of North Korean ships for humanitarian purposes.

    The sanctions lifted are separate from those imposed by Japan and U.N. members after Pyongyang's first nuclear test in 2006 that prohibit U.N. member states from arms trade with Pyongyang and financial transactions that facilitate such trade.

    Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's government needs to tread a fine line and not appear too close to North Korea and undermine calls for it to abandon its nuclear and missile projects, but keep ties good enough not to derail the kidnapping reinvestigation.

    "We have no choice but to do what's right, treating them (reinvestigation and arms smuggling) as separate things," a Foreign Ministry official said.

    "We have made it clear that sanctions will be tightened as long as they carry on with their nuclear and missile programs ... They are well aware of that."

    Pyongyang admitted in 2002 to kidnapping 13 Japanese citizens and five abductees and their families later returned to Japan. North Korea said the remaining eight were dead, and that the issue was closed, but Japan has pressed for more information about their fate and others that Tokyo believes were kidnapped.

    (Reporting by Kiyoshi Takenaka; Editing by Michael Perry)

    Popular in the Community

    • Volunteer Rescue Effort In Houston Turns Tragic As Men Are Electrocuted

      626 reactions12%62%26%
    • Arbeitsloser 20-jähriger kauft Haus für Mutter!

      Ablenkendes InteressierenAnzeige
    • Immigrants and advocates rally in support of DACA

      431 reactions4%74%22%
    • This is why some people are trying to stop Gigi Hadid from modeling in this year’s Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show

      741 reactions6%64%30%
    • Mattis was asked why he agreed to serve under Trump — here's what he said

      742 reactions7%69%24%
    • Kein Auto verliert in vier Jahren weniger an Wert

      DACIAAnzeige
    • Mumbai building collapses after torrential rain

      49 reactions3%73%24%
    • WH says final decision not yet made on DACA

      7 reactions8%42%50%
    • Luis Fonsi On Justin Bieber's Spanish, 'Despacito' Hitting No. 1

      807 reactions3%78%19%
    • Aktuelle Bademode in große Größen

      Ulla PopkenAnzeige
    • Chloe Bennet Says Hollywood's Race Problems Made Her Change Her Name

      1,602 reactions3%73%24%
    • Rescuers seek anyone _ alive or dead _ left in floodwaters

      2,168 reactions5%73%22%
    • Irma now a category three hurricane in Atlantic: US

      141 reactions4%83%13%
    • Immer streichzarte Butter? So wird's gemacht

      KerrygoldAnzeige
    • Fans pay tribute to Princess Diana on the 20th anniversary of her death

      3 reactions0%75%25%
    • WH: Trump to donate $1 million of personal money for Hurricane Harvey disaster relief

      102 reactions1%83%16%

    Trump ‘Probably’ Donating $1 Million to Harvey Victims, an Amount Billionaire Once Described as a ‘Small Loan’

    David: How much is Newsweek donating?

    Join the Conversation
    1 / 5

    924