Italy: Search for bodies of dead migrants resumes

View photos
Teddy bears and flowers sit on coffins of the dead migrants inside a hangar of Lampedusa's airport, Italy, Saturday, Oct. 5, 2013. A ship carrying African migrants towards Italy sank Thursday after a fire was set onboard to attract attention of any passing boats or people on shore when they ran into trouble. They had traveled for two full days and thought they had reached safety when they saw the lights of Lampedusa. Instead, at least 111 drowned and 155 survived, some of whom were in the water for three hours, clinging to anything buoyant, even empty water bottles. (AP Photo/Luca Bruno)

LAMPEDUSA, Italy (AP) — Divers are resuming the search for bodies from a fiery shipwreck of a fishing boat packed with 500 migrants from Eritrea.

Financial police Maj. Leonardo Ricci said divers began the search around 10 a.m. Sunday and would continue "as long as the sea is calm and there is light."

The search had been suspended for the last two days due to rough seas, and Ricci says they don't know yet if bodies seen before on the sea bed had been displaced by currents.

As many as 250 people remain missing from Thursday's shipwreck. There are 155 survivors and 111 bodies recovered.