A sequel to the 1996 Earth invasion hit blockbuster Independence Day has been confirmed by 20th Century Fox.
The movie, produced by Dean Devlin, Roland Emmerich and Harald Kloser is scheduled to be released on June 24, 2016. Emmerich "is in negotiations to direct" the film, according to a report in The Hollywood Reporter. Jeff Goldblum is said to be in talks to make a return, but it's thought unlikely that Will Smith, who played a fighter pilot in the original, will appear in the sequel.
Independence Day is a kick-ass 1996 movie about aliens who invade Earth and make an unholy mess before the humans get their act together.
Independence Day 2 has officially been greenlit by @20thcenturyfox! #IndependenceDay— Dean Devlin (@Dean_Devlin) November 26, 2014
More from polygon.com:
- The complete guide to PS3, PS4 and PlayStation Vita Black Friday deals
- The complete guide to Xbox One and Xbox 360 Black Friday Deals
- The complete guide to Nintendo 2DS, 3DS and Wii U Black Friday deals
- The Jurassic World trailer is here
- The Smash Bros. Wii U GameCube adapter just became much more interesting
- This one tweet is everything amazing and terrible about modern games
- Ubisoft warns players not to trust early reviews of The Crew