MORE FROM TRAVEL + LEISURE
When it comes to hotel gratuities, even the most seasoned travelers admit to being stumped. That’s why we’ve put together this handy cheat sheet, which you can take with you the next time you’re on the road.
• Bellman: $1 to $2 per bag.
• Concierge: $10 to $20 for performing a special service, such as scoring tickets to a sold-out event or wrangling lost luggage from your airline.
• Doorman: $2 for hailing a cab in rush hour or in the rain; $1 for each bag.
• Housekeeping: $5 to $10 per day. Leave it at the front desk if you want it divided equally among all your housekeepers.
• Room Service: A service charge is almost always included in the bill. To personally thank your server, 5 percent will suffice.
• Valet: $5 when your car is delivered.
Note: Gratuities are often lower or not expected outside North America. Follow local tipping customs when traveling overseas.
See also: Hotel where rooms are hidden.