Hugh Grant has become the latest celebrity to make a public show of support for Prince Harry and Meghan’s decision to step back as senior royals.
According to Page Six, the actor told Sirius XM’s Radio Andy: “I’m rather on Harry’s side, I have to say.
“The tabloid press effectively murdered his mother [Princess Diana] - now they’re tearing his wife to pieces.”
He added: “I think, as a man, it’s [Harry’s] job to protect his family so I’m with him.”
His comments come after Harry and Meghan made their bombshell announcement last week that they would be splitting their time between the UK and Canada and working to become financially independent, a decision later sanctioned by the Queen.
The pair last year also launched legal action against three UK newspapers. Meghan is accusing the Mail on Sunday of unlawfully publishing a letter the duchess wrote to her father while Harry is suing the owners of the Sun and Daily Mirror in relation to alleged phone hacking.
Harry said the "painful" impact of intrusive media coverage had forced the couple to take action.
The treatment of Meghan in the press has become a controversial topic, with many arguing she has been subjected to racism.
Grant’s endorsement of the couple’s decision followed Stormzy wading into the discussion on Tuesday.
The UK rapper hit back at critics of Meghan, claiming there is no “credible” reason to dislike her.
Speaking to New York radio station Hot 97, he labelled the Duchess of Sussex a “lovely woman”.
Supermodel Naomi Campbell has also come out to lend her support to the Sussexes.
The supermodel said: “I support them whatever.”
Following their announcement, Prince Harry attended a summit with senior royals at Sandringham.
The Queen later released a statement saying the talks had been “very constructive” and the pair would enter a transition period as they split their time between the UK and Canada.