Horn Barbecue fire being investigated as arson

(KRON) — A fire that gutted an acclaimed barbecue restaurant in West Oakland last year is being investigated as an arson, the Oakland Fire Department confirmed to KRON4 Friday. A fire broke out at Horn Barbecue, a Michelin-recognized barbecue restaurant in Nov. 21 of last year.

The fire, which closely followed a reported instance of vandalism at the restaurant, badly damaged the building. The Oakland Fire Department responded to the fire about 4:19 a.m. that morning and had it under control by shortly after 5 a.m.

State Farm to cancel policies as thousands of homeowners struggle to find insurance

However, photos and videos from the scene, showed that the place had all-but destroyed the restaurant’s interior.

Owner Matt Horn blamed the fire on arson in an announcement last month about the restaurant reopening in a new location, saying “the arson that targeted our flagship location was a product of the very environment the city is working to change.”

On Friday, fire officials confirmed that indeed, the fire appeared to have been deliberately set.

“The Oakland Fire Department’s investigation into the origin and cause of the fire at 2534 Mandela Parkway, Horn Barbecue, is an open and ongoing investigation,” said an Oakland FD spokesperson. “Evidence found at the scene indicates that the fire was intentionally set, the fire is being investigated as an arson fire.”

No suspects in the fire have been identified at this time, officials said.

For the latest news, weather, sports, and streaming video, head to KRON4.