Hoarding conditions found in house fire on southeast side

(COLORADO SPRINGS) — The Colorado Springs Fire Department (CSFD) said hoarding conditions made firefighting difficult at a house fire in which one person suffered minor injuries and a dog had to be rescued.

Firefighters originally responded to a structure fire just before noon on Friday, March 22 in the 1200 block of Sorrento Drive, near the intersection of East Fountain Boulevard and Chelton Road. CSFD said when crews arrived, they saw heavy smoke coming from the front of the home.

PREVIOUS COVERAGE: Minor injuries reported after house fire

As firefighters made their way into the home, they found “heavy hoarder conditions,” which CSFD said poses a particular risk for firefighters. These kinds of conditions could lead to firefighters becoming entangled, lost or trapped, or stacked items falling on them. It also can make locating the actual fire difficult.

One person inside the home suffered minor injuries and was treated on scene. A dog was also rescued from the home.

A dog being held by a firefighter
Courtesy: Colorado Springs Fire Department

CSFD said the cause of the fire was a fireplace, and the fire would be ruled accidental.

For the latest news, weather, sports, and streaming video, head to FOX21 News Colorado.