Historic building center of legal battle in Troy deemed unsafe

There has been a new development about the future of a historic building in downtown Troy.

The Miami Department of Development said Troy’s Tavern Building is unsafe and the owner needs to do something about it.

News Center 7 previously reported that the owner of the building started demolishing it earlier this year until a judge halted it.

>>PREVIOUS COVERAGE: Repairs ordered, demolition remains halted at historic Troy building

Tuesday the Miami County Department of Development said the building is a serious hazard.

This comes after an on-site inspection by the chief building official yesterday.

The Department of Development said all unsafe conditions need to be diminished immediately.

>> PREVIOUS COVERAGE: Troy seeking to permanently prevent demolition of historic Tavern Building

News Center 7 has covered the back and forth about the future of this building.

A judge ruled to stop demolition while a lawyer for the building’s said the only safe alternative for this building is demolishing it.

Meanwhile, the Troy Historical Preservation Alliance said the building has historical significance and means a lot to the community.

“We’re going to be involved in it for as long as it takes. We win when the building is sold, when somebody begins the restoration, renovation process of it,” Martin Stewart, Troy Historic Preservation Alliance board member said.

We will continue following this story and update when new information is available.