Even if you’re not a parent, you’ve likely heard of Hatchimals. The interactive eggs that talk and hatch furry little critters have made headlines for failing to open and even spewing out curse words. But the latest claim is downright dangerous: A new version of the toy may give children chemical burns.
In a Facebook post that’s been shared more than 130,000 times, a mom named Jennifer Renee posted photos of her child’s reddened hands and wrote:
“PSA! Do NOT buy this for your children! Followed directions on package and placed in her bathtub. Thought it would be fun for her because there was a toy inside. After being in the water 30-45 seconds she stated her skin was hurting, upon looking she has received a chemical burn from a KIDS BATH BOMB. (no she was not holding it and she has used multiple different kinds of bath bombs and never had this reaction) Just a warning people.”
Renee the posted an update: “She has had these before and all different brands. I called the company and the batch number being investigated and is likely going to be recalled as numerous reports have been made (not all the burning reaction she got). It is so easy for a person working in a factory to overdo the ingredients in a batch and just ignore it. Went to the doctor this morning and it was in fact a chemical burn not a reaction. I am posting this just in hopes people will monitor closely. Everyone loves bath bombs. Lesson learned. All natural ones from now on.”
Renee did not return Yahoo Lifestyle’s request for comment; however, she’s not the only concerned parent. Many commenters vowed to avoid the bath bombs, while others insisted the product has never harmed their own children.
Yahoo Lifestyle could not reach a representative from Hatchimals for comment, but the company sent a statement to the fact-checking site Snopes, which determined the danger of the product “unproven.”
The statement read: “Spin Master was made aware of the situation via a Facebook post and we are in the process of looking into the matter with the licensee company to whom Spin Master licensed the Hatchimals brand. We are saddened to learn about a young girl’s injuries. That said, it would be premature to comment further on the situation until we learn more. We are working closely with the product’s licensee manufacturer and distributor to determine whether there are any product issues.”
According to Ava Shamban, a Beverly Hills-based dermatologist and founder of SkinxFive, who reviewed the ingredients pictured in the Facebook post, there are no red flags. “It does appear to be safe,” she tells Yahoo Lifestyle. “It’s basically sodium bicarbonate with some color dye, which is baking soda.”
Dendy Engelman, a dermatologist and dermatologic surgeon at Medical Dermatology & Cosmetic Surgery Centers in New York, agrees. “It’s possible that some children could experience irritant or contact dermatitis if they have an ingredient sensitivity or have an already compromised skin barrier such as dermatitis, eczema, or an open wound,” Engelman tells Yahoo Lifestyle. “But a chemical burn is unlikely.”
Read more from Yahoo Lifestyle:
- Breastfeeding mom kicked off of Spirit Airlines flight: ‘It was humiliating to be chased off a plane’
- ‘Riverdale’ accused of sexualizing teen girls for pole dance scene
- Eminem is still using the word ‘retarded’ — why that’s an issue