By Joseph Guyler Delva PORT-AU-PRINCE (Reuters) - Haiti's interim president, Jocelerme Privert, said he will stay in office until next year to transfer power to an elected president unless parliament rules otherwise, after the electoral council on Monday scrapped the results of a disputed presidential vote. The poor Caribbean nation held a first-round vote in October, but a second-round run-off was postponed several times after losing candidates alleged fraud. Privert was chosen as an interim leader when the last president left office without a successor. The electoral council accepted a recommendation to scrap the first-round results after a commission found evidence of fraud and set new dates for a fresh first round to be held on Oct. 9, with a run-off vote on Jan. 8. Under a multi-party agreement, Privert was supposed to have overseen elections and handed power to an elected successor within 120 days, by June 14. Electoral deadlines were missed after a spat over appointments and the establishment of the commission to investigate the first round. In its non-binding final report delivered last week, the commission recommended an entirely new election, citing widespread fraud and "zombie" voting. Speaking to Reuters, Privert said he would stay in office unless parliament agreed to remove him. Privert has strong support in the upper house, and legislators have failed to meet at all lately, making it unlikely they will vote to remove him. "The agreement stands even beyond the 120 days. We have dates and deadlines that changed for reasons beyond our control, but the fundamental mission is to organize the election as soon as possible," Privert said at the presidential palace. "I am ready to comply with any decision made by parliament in that regard. But if they are not able to make any decision, I cannot abandon my responsibilities," he said. Earlier this week the United States warned that starting the elections from scratch could prolong the period Haiti remained without a democratically elected president. The election has divided opinion in Haiti. Supporters of Privert and his allies feel that international pressure to hold a vote quickly led to the flawed first round. Others feel the vote should go ahead quickly, in a country suffering from food shortages and barely recovering from the devastating 2010 earthquake. The party that came first in the contested first round warned of protests against the electoral council's decision to start elections over, and blamed Privert for the delay. "He is manipulating the electoral council to organize fraudulent elections for his political family," said Guichard Dore of the Haitian Tet Kale Party (PHTK) "We will continue to mobilize against current efforts to organize an electoral coup," he said. (Editing by Frank Jack Daniel and Leslie Adler)
Meghan Markle threatened to break up with Prince Harry if he didn't release a statement confirming their relationship, report says
A source told the Times of London's Valentine Low that Harry was "freaking out" about the situation.
Speaking at the Texas Tribune Festival, Wyoming Rep. Liz Cheney said she will do "everything I can to make sure he's not the nominee."
Trump said he could declassify documents with his mind, but he may have also accidentally admitted to taking them 'intentionally,' NYT reporter says
New York Times Correspondent Maggie Haberman said Trump may have deviated from the narrative that classified documents ended up at Mar-a-Lago accidentally.
- The Hill
Former top Pence aide: Trump claim that presidents can declassify docs by thinking about it ‘absurd’
Former top Pence aide Marc Short on Friday rejected a recent claim from former President Trump that presidents can declassify documents by thinking about it, calling the notion “absurd.” “That’s absurd, obviously,” Short told CBS News. “I think it would make it very difficult for the intelligence community to have a classification system if that was…
Prince William and Kate Middleton realized they needed to 'up their game' after Meghan Markle's first royal engagement, according to a new book
According to Katie Nicholl's book "The New Royals," the Fab Four's relationship transitioned after Meghan Markle's first royal engagement in 2018.
After making several stunning appearances at New York Fashion Week, Amelia Gray Hamlin is now turning heads on the runways in Milan. The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills daughter recently walked in Giuliano Calza’s GCDS show, where she bared her backside in an unexpected look. “My butt had her first cameo,” Amelia captioned a September 22 Instagram Story video of herself on the runway. While it initially appeared Amelia was modeling a white tank top and jeans, it turns out the pants only had fro
- Fox News
Prince William ‘simply can’t forgive’ Prince Harry for his behavior following royal exit, author claims
Vanity Fair's royal correspondent Katie Nicholl alleged that the Prince of Wales was hoping that his younger brother, the Duke of Sussex, would be "his wingman."
- Orlando Sentinel
Tropical Storm Ian grew overnight in the Caribbean still with a path that could bring it to Florida next week as a hurricane prompting Gov. Ron DeSantis to declare a state of emergency across the Sunshine State. The National Hurricane Center’s 5 p.m. update puts Tropical Storm Ian’s center about 230 miles south of Kingston, Jamaica and about 430 miles southeast of Grand Cayman with maximum ...
Prince George, Princess Charlotte & Prince Louis Are No Longer the Cambridge Kids—Here’s Why They Have a New Last Name
It appears that Prince George, 9, Princess Charlotte, 7, and Prince Louis, 4, are the Cambridge kids no longer. Recently, the trio's parents, Kate Middleton and Prince William, received new titles following the passing of Queen Elizabeth II on September 8. While at first the pair were named as the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Cornwall, the new King Charles III then bestowed upon them the title of Prince and Princess of Wales. Chris Jackson/Getty Images In his first address as monarch, King
- USA TODAY
Denver Riggleman, a former adviser to the Jan. 6 committee told "60 Minutes" the White House switchboard called a rioter during breach.
Donald Trump will fight hard against Letitia James' lawsuit. Ex-AG insiders say these are his top 5 defenses.
Former NY AG prosecutors predict a slow-motion legal brawl where Trump will cry foul, claim ignorance, and delay, delay, delay.
- Fox News
Princess Diana’s and Meghan Markle’s differences in treatment of staff are ‘stark,’ royal expert says
Duchess of Sussex Meghan Markle is facing criticism for the way she treated royal staff when living at the palace, in comparison to Princess Diana -- who was described as "kind."
Kanye West says he told his 9-year-old daughter North to 'never let anyone' take over his and Kim Kardashian's brands in the future
Ye, formerly known as Kanye West, said that he counseled his daughter on being the steward of his and Kim Kardashian's businesses.
- Good Housekeeping
Prince William still cannot forgive Prince Harry for leaving England, but there was a "sense of relief" when he did because the "drama was gone."
Prince William had a strong bond with his grandmother, who died on 8 September, and now he's shared the sweet moment that happened after her passing.
- Fox News
Hells Angels funeral for Sonny Barger expected to draw thousands as sheriff warns of possible violence
Local law enforcement is warning about the possibility of violence at the Saturday funeral of Hells Angels founder Sonny Barger at the 99 Speedway in California.
- The New Voice of Ukraine
The wife of a Donetsk puppet authority fighter told her husband that dissatisfaction with the actions of dictator Vladimir Putin is growing in Russia, according to an intercept of their conversation published on Facebook by Ukraine’s military intelligence agency HUR on Sept. 24.
- The Stockton Record
An estimated 7,000 attend funeral for Hells Angels leader Ralph "Sonny" Barger at Stockton 99 Speedway
Ralph "Sonny" Barger funeral was held at Stockton 99 Speedway on Saturday, Sept. 24.
Serena Williams may have recently announced that she was stepping away from professional tennis, but that doesn't mean she's giving up on sports entirely. In fact, according to a new Instagram video, she appears to be dabbling in a new physical activity: soccer. The Grand Slam champ just revealed that she inadvertently became an assistant soccer coach for her daughter, Alexis Olympia Ohanian Jr., 5, and her daughter's team. She recounted the story in her caption, where she said, “True story: I s
After declaring that he's 'not a terrorist' Trump uses North Carolina rally to vilify New York Attorney General Letitia James
New York Attorney General Letitia James filed a massive fraud lawsuit against Trump, his business, and his three eldest children.