Girl abducted from Clermont at 6 finds her way back to mother 14 years later, police say

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·1 min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.

A 19-year-old girl abducted from Clermont in 2007 reunited with her mother last week in Texas at the U.S.–Mexico border after reaching out to her on social media, the police department said Monday

Angelica Vences-Salgado told Clermont police that she received a message on Sept. 2 from someone claiming to be her missing daughter Jacqueline Hernandez, according to agency spokesperson Sgt. Erin Razo.

Hernandez was allegedly taken by her father Pablo Hernandez on Dec. 2, 2007, the Florida Department of Law Enforcement said in a flyer from when she went missing.

According to FDLE, a warrant for kidnapping was issued for Pablo Hernandez. Authorities said in the flyer that he and his daughter may have traveled to Mexico.

The teenager told Vences-Salgado that she was in Mexico and requested they meet at the point of entry in Laredo, Texas on Friday, Razo said.

Vences-Salgado contacted Clermont police, who worked with local and federal agencies to verify Hernandez’s identity, Razo said.

But the statement from Clermont police omitted key details, including whether authorities are still pursuing Pablo Hernandez. It also didn’t explain how Jacqueline Hernandez made it back to the border or what had happened to her in the years since her abduction.

lgarza@orlandosentinel.com

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting