Antonio French, a St. Louis alderman, has been a constant presence in Ferguson, Missouri, since Michael Brown was shot and killed by police officer Darren Wilson on August 9. On Twitter and Vine, French has fearlessly documented the nightly protests. Friday night, after days of largely nonviolent demonstrations, a handful of what he calls "troublemakers" changed the tone and began looting several stores in the area. Read French's description of how he, local activist Anthony Shahid, and others tried to stop them, and why it was best for police to keep their distance and let the events play out:
More from vox.com:
- Protesters met with hugs from police instead of tear gas tonight in Ferguson
- A change in police tactics after days of chaos in Ferguson
- Enough is enough in Ferguson
- An important St. Louis official is unhappy with tonight's policing changes
- 6 secrets to getting a good deal on a house
- "The shooting of Michael Brown was the final straw for people in Ferguson"