Firefighters respond to fire at Belvidere's Apollo Theatre one month after tornado

First responders were called to the Belvidere Apollo Theatre Monday afternoon after the building's roof caught fire.

The Belvidere Fire Department said a roofing contractor was doing some welding work on the building when nearby material caught fire from sparks from the welder.

Contractors were able to use water to put out most of the fire, authorities said.

The fire department was able to put the rest of the fire out with a water can once firefighters arrived on scene. No injuries were reported.

A Belvidere Fire official said Monday's fire did not cause any structural damage to the building.

The roof of the historic Apollo Theatre collapsed when it was hit by an EF-1 tornado capable of producing 110 mph winds March 31. A total of 48 people were injured. One person was killed.

The theater, 104 N. State St., Belvidere, opened in 1922 and was bought by Maria Martinez and her family in 1997.

The Martinez family began fundraising efforts shortly after the deadly roof collapse to help fix the damage caused by the tornado.

As of Monday, the fundraising efforts ended with $3,200 being raised, according to the fundraiser's GoFundMe page.

This article originally appeared on Rockford Register Star: Firefighters respond to fire at Belvidere's Apollo Theatre