Firefighters called to minor fire in Avoca

AVOCA, LUZERNE COUNTY (WBRE/WYOU)— Firefighters were called to a minor fire in the basement restaurant in Luzerne County.

Saturday morning, first responders were called to a minor fire in the basement of Colarusso’s Cafe in the 700 block of Main Street in Avoca.

Fire officials said a minor fire started in the bottom floor of the building. During the response, firefighters said there was minor smoke and water damage to the bottom floor of the building.

First responders called to deadly Duryea fire

According to the restaurant, they will reopen once health officials survey the building and approve their reopening.

Colarusso’s Cafe said on Sunday the restaurant is anticipated to be closed for one or two weeks until the State Health Department inspects the restaurant to determine if they can reopen.

Firefighters have not told 28/22 News what started the fire, but the restaurant said they were told it was an electrical issue with their dryer on the bottom floor.

First responders from Jenkins Township, Laflin, Moosic, Avoca, and Greenwood were called to the scene.

For the latest news, weather, sports, and streaming video, head to