Fire that heavily damaged Jewell Street house in Jay is ruled accidental

Mar. 18—JAY — A fire last week that heavily damaged a house and claimed the lives of two cats was accidental Jay Fire Rescue chief Mike Booker said Monday.

"The stove was found to be on," Corey Leclerc, deputy fire chief, said. "We are not sure how it was turned on."

Fire officials learned one of the cats and a dog liked to chase each other and that may be how the burner was turned on, Booker said. He was working in Mexico and not at the scene at 43 Jewell St. on Thursday.

No one was at the home when the fire was reported at about 3:30 p.m.

The house is owned by Kelly McMannus and was insured.

About 35 firefighters from Jay, Livermore, Farmington, Livermore Falls and Wilton responded.

Franklin County arrest log: March 16-18, 2024

Former Farmington man pleads guilty to robbing Irving store, throwing coffee in cashier's face