Family displaced after Chesapeake house fire

CHESAPEAKE, Va. (WAVY) — A fire has forced a family out of their Chesapeake home.

Monday just before 2 p.m., Chesapeake firefighters responded to calls about a house fire on the 900 block of Portland Street.

Courtesy of the Chesapeake Fire Department
Courtesy of the Chesapeake Fire Department

When they arrived on the scene, crews found heavy smoke at the rear of the house. Fire crews from Chesapeake and Norfolk stretched hoselines to the back of the house and quickly brought the fire under control around 1:57 p.m.

Everyone inside the home was able to safely evacuate before crews arrived.

The house was significantly damaged by the fire and the family will not be able to return home until the damage is repaired. The Red Cross is providing the family with lodging and assistance.

Investigators say the fire was accidental.

Keep up to date with the latest news on WAVY.com.

For the latest news, weather, sports, and streaming video, head to WAVY.com.