• Home
  • Mail
  • Flickr
  • Tumblr
  • News
  • Sports
  • Finance
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Answers
  • Groups
  • More
Yahoo
    • Skip to Navigation
    • Skip to Main Content
    • Skip to Related Content

    Expats puzzled after Donald Trump gives back their cash

    Michael Beckel
    ,
    Center for Public Integrity•September 16, 2016

    A pair of passionate Donald Trump supporters living abroad were surprised to learn this week that the Republican presidential candidate no longer wanted their money.

    Henryk Zaleski, a 64-year-old retired U.S. Navy veteran who now lives in Norway, has given Trump $275. He told the Center for Public Integrity that he was “floored” when he discovered Trump’s campaign had returned his contributions.

    Likewise, 52-year-old investment banker Ben Gelfand of Toronto was thrown to hear that the Trump campaign had rejected his $1,000 donation from June.

    Gelfand said he provided the Trump campaign with information affirming his U.S. citizenship earlier this year. “They know I’m a U.S. citizen,” he told the Center for Public Integrity.

    Apparently, the Trump campaign does not.

    On Monday, Trump’s campaign told the Federal Election Commission that it had returned the donations from Zaleski, Gelfand and a third donor, Marc Pierrot of Hong Kong, who could not immediately be reached for comment.

    “If a contribution is received with a foreign address, the committee sends a request for a copy of a valid U.S. passport and rejects contributions from contributors whose status cannot be confirmed with a passport,” Trump campaign treasurer Timothy Jost wrote to the agency.

    This story is part of Buying of the President 2016. Tracking the candidates, political committees and nonprofits that are making this presidential election the most expensive in history. Click here to read more stories in this investigation.

    Don't miss another Politics investigation: Sign up for the Center for Public Integrity's Watchdog email.

    Jost’s letter came just hours after the Center for Public Integrity revealed how a foreign national — Shahriyar Nasir of Toronto — had illegally donated $225 to Trump’s campaign in April.

    Neither the Trump campaign nor the FEC had spotted Nasir’s illegal donation, though Trump spokeswoman Hope Hicks said Nasir’s money has now been returned.

    But the FEC, last month, did flag the contributions from Zaleski, Gelfand and Pierrot as potentially impermissible.

    Alerting candidates that they’ve received money from foreign addresses is routine for the agency, and it doesn’t itself mean the donations are prohibited.

    Americans living outside the country may legally donate to politicians, but foreign nationals may not. Only foreigners with permanent resident status in the United States may make political donations.

    It’s generally up to campaigns to verify whether someone is legally allowed to make political contributions.

    Neither Jost nor Hicks of the Trump campaign responded to requests for comment for this story.

    For his part, Gelfand, who is registered to vote in Ohio, said he backed President Barack Obama in both 2008 and 2012. Now, however, he’s on the Trump train.

    “I’m a guy that votes by candidate, not by party,” Gelfand said.

    Related story: Trump accepted illegal contribution from ‘proud Muslim’ in Canada

    Meanwhile, Zaleski said the Trump campaign had contacted him this week to review his voter registration information — but not to request proof of his citizenship.

    “I have a lot of patience for people who make mistakes due to inexperience,” Zaleski said. “But we sure wasted a lot of time for no reason.”

    Zaleski added that he, earlier this week, had voluntarily mailed the Trump campaign a copy of his passport, a copy of his Florida voter registration card and a copy of his retired military ID card. He’s also (again) attempting to donate to Trump’s campaign — he enclosed a check along with the documentation.

    “Mr. Obama thinks himself to be a king of sorts, and Hillary [Clinton] is not the answer to counter the Obama years,” Zaleski said. “Let's make America great again. I strongly believe we can with [Trump] at the helm.”

    Brett Kappel, a campaign finance lawyer in the Washington, D.C., office of Akerman LLP, said tracking down donors who live abroad can be a time-intensive activity for campaigns.

    Obtaining copies of U.S. passports, Kappel said, is “a task that would take a great deal of staff time per contribution, assuming the contributors are even willing to provide their passport to anyone in an age of rampant identity theft.”

    This story is part of Buying of the President 2016. Tracking the candidates, political committees and nonprofits that are making this presidential election the most expensive in history. Click here to read more stories in this investigation.

    Related stories

    • Donald Trump's lawsuits could turn off conservatives who embrace tort reform
    • Small businesses for Trump: ‘Just get somebody different in there’
    • Latest numbers to know about the 2016 presidential race
    • Analysis: Donald Trump, propagandist-in-chief?
    • Trump accepted illegal contribution from ‘proud Muslim’ in Canada
    • Donald Trump steamrolling toward nomination despite negative ad blitz

    Copyright 2016 The Center for Public Integrity. This story was published by The Center for Public Integrity, a nonprofit, nonpartisan investigative news organization in Washington, D.C.

    Popular in the Community

    • Omarosa Manigault Speaks Out After White House Exit: ‘I Have Seen Things That Have Made Me Uncomfortable’

      490 reactions2%73%25%
    • Rencontrez des jeunes de plus de 50 ans !

      DisonsDemainAnnonces
    • Will Smith's Comments On Roy Moore's Defeat Are Something Else

      3,884 reactions4%68%28%
    • US jets intercept Russian planes over Syria and fire warning flares

      132 reactions3%75%22%
    • There's a very simple thing most people get wrong about taxes

      410 reactions3%81%16%
    • Revenus modestes, l’ACS, une aide pour votre santé

      Assurance MaladieAnnonces
    • 'The Simpsons' Predicted Disney Owning 20th Century Fox 19 Years Ago

      30 reactions7%70%23%
    • Iskra Lawrence corrects headline calling her plus size

      2,219 reactions6%72%22%
    • Protesters rally at FCC against repeal of net neutrality rules

      60 reactions6%65%29%
    • Tremblements de terre: une menace pour tous

      AXAAnnonces
    • Has North Korean leader Kim Jong-un executed one of his top aides?

      285 reactions3%74%23%
    • Marcus Mariota 'got an earful' from his mom for being rude to the media

      877 reactions15%70%15%
    • The FCC officially votes to kill net neutrality

      352 reactions5%71%24%
    • QLED. L’expérience TV ultime

      SamsungAnnonces
    • Paducah, Jonesboro, Columbine and Newtown: A chain of tragedy and grief

      178 reactions2%66%32%
    • Roy Moore issues fiery video refusing to concede: 'Immorality sweeps over our land'

      1,162 reactions5%60%35%
    • Ohio passes law barring abortion over Down syndrome diagnosis

      6 reactions0%75%25%
    • L'INFINITI #Q60 attire tous les regards à Cuba

      InfinitiAnnonces
    • GOP Rep. Farenthold to retire after claims of sexual harassment

      2 reactions
    • 'Lockdown!': How lessons from Sandy Hook saved lives in California shooting

      242 reactions4%69%27%
    • Omarosa Manigault speaks out about WH exit: 'I have seen things that have made me uncomfortable'

      4,347 reactions4%74%22%
    • Des idées cadeaux pour Noël à partir de 3€ !

      Françoise SagetAnnonces
    • Robin Roberts Literally Says 'Bye Felicia' To Omarosa Manigault Newman

      344 reactions6%72%22%
    • Wildfires in Southern California force thousands to flee

      1,189 reactions4%72%24%