By Corina Pons CARACAS (Reuters) - Venezuela has agreed to hand over at least seven oil fields to little-known companies that will be paid to boost output through contracts similar to ones rolled back under late socialist leader Hugo Chavez, according to two sources and an internal document. The effort signals that President Nicolas Maduro, who is struggling under a hyper-inflationary economic meltdown and fast-declining oil output, is willing to reverse the aggressive efforts of his predecessor - who died in 2013 - to expand the state's role in the energy industry of the OPEC nation. But the plan faces significant hurdles because most companies involved have no known experience operating oilfields, and U.S. sanctions would likely inhibit more experienced firms from getting involved with Venezuela's state-run PDVSA. The government had already announced a vague plan to boost oil output with the help of seven companies. The plan was described during a televised event on Aug. 28 in which representatives of those companies, during a ceremony including Maduro, signed "joint service agreements" with PDVSA. Details of the deals were not disclosed. But in a draft contract seen by Reuters, PDVSA offers to put companies in charge of the fields for six years on the condition that they boost production, finance the required investment and procure the necessary equipment. The draft was the basis for the contracts announced by Maduro, said two sources familiar with the situation who asked not to be identified because they are not allowed to speak publicly about the issue. Reuters was not able to obtain finalized contracts. The companies involved have not yet announced final agreements with Venezuela. Neither PDVSA nor the companies involved responded to a request for comment. The president of PDVSA, Manuel Quevedo, said during the Aug. 28 event that the overall plan would involve $430 million in investment and a production increase of 641,000 barrels per day (bpd). The terms of the deals were not disclosed. Quevedo said the plan included 14 companies but that only seven were present that night, without mentioning the names of the other companies. The deals involve fields including two that were operated by Italy's Eni and France's Total . The companies that signed agreements include five Venezuelan firms: Petrokariña, Enfriadores de Venezuela C.A., Consorcio Rinoca Centauro Kariña, Well Services Cavallino, and Consorcio Petrolero Tomoporo. Most of them appear to be involved in oil services but have no evident experience operating fields, which tends to require significantly more capital, human resources and certifications. The companies either did not respond to requests for comment or do not have sufficient publicly available contact information to make such a request. The other two are Helios Petroleum Services, a Panamanian company that describes itself as petroleum marketer, and Shandong Kerui Holding Group, a Chinese oilfield equipment manufacturer. Neither responded to requests for comment. 'DISGUISED PRIVATIZATION' The draft says companies would receive a fee in compensation for the value of additional barrels they produce, and be reimbursed for the investments they make. PDVSA would have a six-month grace period, starting at the time the contractor increases output, to begin making payments. Payments would be made to the account of a trust created by the contractor, the draft says, helping ensure the contractor actually receives payment from PDVSA - which is billions of dollars behind in paying partners and providers. The draft contract is similar to a group of 1990s-era contracts known as "operating agreements" under which PDVSA contracted out oil production to companies that were paid a fee for the crude they produced. Chavez, elected in 1998, for years lambasted this arrangement as a bad deal for Venezuela on the grounds that it was a "disguised privatization" of the oil industry that did not leave enough revenue in the hands of the state. Former oil czar Rafael Ramirez, who oversaw Chavez's push to boost the state's role in the oil industry, in a 2005 speech to Congress said the arrangements were illegal because they handed over oilfields to private companies in violation of the 1970s oil industry nationalization. The legal status of the contracts signed in August was not immediately evident. Venezuela in 2005 ordered that operating agreements be converted to joint ventures in which PDVSA held a majority. Despite a 10-year oil boom that left PDVSA flush with cash, output at those fields steadily declined as the company diverted necessary investments into social programs that kept Chavez popular. The 2014 collapse of oil prices ushered in an economic crisis that left millions unable to eat, leaving oil engineers and oilfield workers alike rushing to leave the country. Maduro says the country is victim of an "economic war" led by opposition politicians with the support of Washington, which has slapped several rounds of sanctions on his government. (Reporting by Corina Pons in Caracas; Additional reporting by Marianna Parraga in Mexico City and Brian Ellsworth in Caracas; Editing by Matthew Lewis)
Meghan Markle says she was told she couldn't get help despite having suicidal thoughts, but royals have seen therapists before
Prince Harry and Princess Diana both opened up about getting mental health treatment in the past, and Prince William has supported the cause.
- Reuters Videos
This pizza costs $360(SOUNDBITE)(Arabic)FOUNDER OF DAPIETRO PEZZRIA, AHMED HERGAL: "My name is Ahmed Hergal and I'm the one who made the most expensive pizza in Africa costing 999 DT ($360)."Location: Tunis, TunisiaIt’s made using luxury ingredients like champagne mozzarella24-carat gold leafand black and white truffles"Take our dough that we prepared using yeast that we make here with seawater, spirulina, and Italian flour in order to strengthen it, and then when we knead it. We add charcoal and black garlic to give it a black color."The dish has received mixed reactions from customers(SOUNDBITE)(Arabic) CUSTUMOR OF DAPIETRO PIZZERIA, ZAKI KRIP, SAYING:"I see it as part of the process of making a special restaurant. When you travel and find a respected chef or a restaurant you find products with their own personal touch that are very expensive. I saw many comments on social media from people who did not like the price. I will not buy it not because I do not like it. But I will say bravo to its maker."
Meghan Markle compared losing her voice after marrying Prince Harry to Ariel's story in 'The Little Mermaid'
During her interview with Oprah Winfrey, Meghan Markle compared being "silenced" as a royal to the princess Ariel's story in "The Little Mermaid."
Oprah shares 2 moments from her Meghan Markle and Prince Harry interview that surprised her the most
Oprah Winfrey was surprised Meghan told her about her suicidal thoughts, and that royal family members had "concern" over Archie's skin tone.
- The Telegraph
New Zealand 'not likely' to become a republic in wake of Harry and Meghan interview, says Jacinda Ardern
New Zealand's prime minister says the country is “not likely” to become a republic in the wake of Prince Harry and Meghan's interview, as Commonwealth countries face calls for the removal of the Queen as Head of State. Jacinda Ardern was asked whether the unflattering picture of the British royal family painted by the Duke and Duchess of Sussex had given her pause about New Zealand's constitutional ties to Britain. "I've said before that I've not sensed an appetite from New Zealanders for significant change in our constitutional arrangements, and I don't expect that's likely to change quickly," she said. New Zealand is a constitutional monarchy with The Queen as Sovereign. But discontent is bubbling elsewhere - #AbolishTheMonarchy was trending on Twitter on Monday morning.
- The Independent
Queens-born septuagenarian arrives back at former Fifth Avenue residence following four year absence
- Business Insider
Biden nominates female generals who were passed over by the Pentagon because they feared Trump's reaction
Pentagon officials reportedly believed former president Donald Trump would oppose the promotion of female generals.
India has urged the United States, Japan and Australia to invest in its vaccine production capacity, an Indian government source told Reuters, as the so-called Quad alliance tries to counter China's growing vaccine diplomacy. Beijing has committed to provide at least 463 million doses of its home-made COVID-19 vaccines through exports and donations across the world from Asia to Africa, Europe and Latin America, according to Reuters calculations. Two senior Indian officials said the Quad alliance, grouping the United States, Japan, Australia and India, was stepping up efforts to expand global vaccination to counter China's growing soft power.
- Reuters Videos
French billionaire Olivier Dassault died Sunday (March 7) in a helicopter crash. He was among the world's 500 richest people, with a fortune valued at 7.15 billion dollars. The 69-year-old was the eldest son of late industrialist Serge Dassault.Namesake firm Dassault Aviation builds Rafale fighters and Falcon business jets. The family also owns France's Le Figaro newspaper. Dassault was once seen as favourite to succeed his father as head of the family's holding. But the role went to a former boss of the aerospace firm instead. Since 2002 Dassault had been a lawmaker for the conservative Les Republicains party. Paying tribute on Twitter, French president Emmanuel Macron said he was someone who 'never ceased to serve our country'. Police say the private helicopter crashed Sunday afternoon in Normandy, where Dassault had a holiday home. The pilot was also killed.
- Associated Press
Lebanon’s army chief warned Monday that soldiers are hurting from the severe economic crisis engulfing the country, voicing rare criticism from the military of a ruling class that has done little to try and resolve a monthslong political deadlock. Gen. Joseph Aoun’s comments came as protesters, angry with Lebanon's political class, blocked major roads leading to the capital for the seventh straight day. Lebanon's currency has lost 85% of its value in the past year and a half.
- The Telegraph
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex unloaded on Prince Charles, The Duchess of Cambridge, and the tabloid press in their extraordinary tell-all with Oprah Winfrey. But despite the numerous allegations levelled at named and unnamed members of the Royal family, The Queen emerged unscathed, and instead received glowing praise from the couple. Meghan described how "everyone" welcomed her to the royal set-up initially, but singled out the Queen as making her particularly comfortable. In another sign of their positive relationship, the Duchess said: “I just pick up the phone and I call the Queen - just to check-in. Meghan said the Queen has "always been wonderful" to her and that she reminded the Duchess of her own grandmother. "She’s always been warm and inviting," the Duchess added. The Duchess shared a touching anecdote on how her future husband’s grandmother gave her "some beautiful pearl earrings and a matching necklace" for the couple's first joint engagement together, and that the monarch also shared her blanket while travelling together between visits. The pair attended a ceremony for the opening of the new Mersey Gateway Bridge, in Widnes, Cheshire in June 2018 and travelled north on the Royal train.
Tyler Perry provided Harry and Meghan a home and security in Los Angeles after their royal support was removed
The couple stayed at Perry's home in California for three months after leaving Canada when their royal security detail was removed.
Prime Minister Boris Johnson avoided wading into the clash of British royals on Monday, praising the queen but sidestepping questions about racism and insensitivity at the palace after an interview by Prince Harry and his wife Meghan. The former Hollywood actress, whose mother is Black and father is white, accused the royal family of pushing her to the brink of suicide. In a tell-all television interview, she said someone in the royal household had raised questions about the colour of her son's skin.
- The Independent
Prince Harry says he feels ‘really let down’ by Charles as he reveals father stopped taking his calls
Prince Charles allegedly only took two calls with Prince Harry about so-called “Megxit” before no longer picking up
Scott met Dan Jewett because he teaches at her children's school.
- The State
Kyle Larson won Sunday’s NASCAR Cup race at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.
- The Telegraph
Harry and Meghan's Oprah interview: White House praises 'courage' of Duchess in sharing her struggles with mental health
Interview airs in the UK at 9pm on ITV Blow-by-blow: Prince Harry and Meghan's claims The Royals' defence case against explosive allegations How plans to slim down monarchy have become race row Couple secretly married three days before Royal wedding Camilla Tominey: Forget hiding behind sofa - Royals need bulletproof vest The White House has praised the Duchess of Sussex's "courage" in sharing her "struggles with mental health" during her interview with Oprah Winfrey. Jen Psaki, the White House press secretary, was asked if Joe Biden had watched the interview, and what he thought about "the racism they [the Duke and Duchess] felt". Ms Psaki said: "Let me first say, obviously, many of us caught the interview, as many Americans did, and around the world. Meghan Markle is a private citizen and so is Harry at this point. "For anyone to come forward and speak about their own struggles with mental health, and tell their own personal story, that takes courage." The Biden administration will not provide any further "commentary" on the interview, she added. In other key developments during the two-hour interview, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex told Oprah: Prince of Wales "stopped taking" Harry’s calls after their royal departure Meghan contemplated suicide, saying she "just didn't want to be alive any more" Duchess of Cambridge made the Duchess of Sussex cry before her wedding, she claimed Couple had a private marriage ceremony three days before their wedding officiated by the Archbishop of Canterbury Sussexes wanted Archie to be a prince so he would have security Queen wasn’t “blindsided” by their departure the Duke insisted Couple are expecting a baby girl during the summer Princess Diana foresaw his departure from the Royal family, Prince Harry claimed Royal family has an "invisible contract" with the tabloid press, Harry claimed Follow our live blog for a play-by-play of the explosive interview and the global reaction.
- The Week
When Prince Harry and Meghan Markle got married on May 19, 2018, at St. George's Chapel at Windsor Castle, it was their second time around. During an interview with Oprah Winfrey that aired Sunday night, Markle revealed that the pair actually were married three days before their wedding, which was televised to millions of people around the globe. The private ceremony was conducted in their backyard by the Archbishop of Canterbury, with no one else present. "This spectacle is for the world," Markle said. "But we want our union for us." She added that on the day of their wedding at Windsor Castle, the couple tried to keep things "fun and light and remind ourselves that this was our day — but I think we were both really aware, even in advance ... that this wasn't our day. This was the day that was planned for the world." A year after their wedding, Markle and Harry welcomed their son, Archie. The pair announced last month that they are expecting their second child this summer, and shared with Winfrey that it is a girl. More stories from theweek.comLindsey Graham says his revived friendship with Trump is an attempt to 'harness' his 'magic'Britain's tabloids, vilified by Harry and Meghan, are all agog over the 'devastating' Oprah interview7 spondiferously funny cartoons about the Dr. Seuss controversy
- Reuters Videos
Harley-Davidson can’t rest its laurels on its fiercely loyal but aging fan base so it’s taking a page from automakers. Next month, the iconic American motorcycle maker will begin selling certified pre-owned bikes aimed at capturing younger buyers. Its program, H-D Certified, marks its first entry into the used marketplace in the U.S. More than 300 dealers have expressed interest in participating. It’s part of Harley’s new strategy aimed at expanding the brand’s appeal beyond middle-aged and affluent riders. Harley needs to attract new riders. The 118-year old brand has been steadily losing market share in the U.S. Retail sales have fallen for six years. Used Harleys are less expensive and demand for pre-owned bikes is strong. Some dealers told Reuters used Harleys outsold new ones last year by three-to-one. And J.D. Power data shows Harley was the most sought-after brand in the market for used big bikes last year. Under the new program, Harley will certify motorcycles up to five years of age with up to 25,000 miles. They’ll be inspected and backed by a 12-month limited warranty.
In Asia, some vaccination programmes are either yet to begin, or are at a very early stage.