ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) — Broncos Pro Bowl defensive end Elvis Dumervil won't be charged in a road rage incident in Miami Beach, Fla.
His lawyer, Harvey Steinberg, said the Miami-Dade County state's attorney informed him Tuesday that Dumervil had been cleared in the case. Dumervil had been arrested on a charge of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.
A relieved Dumervil said he knew he "didn't do anything wrong," but was "in the wrong place at the wrong time."
"I'm just ready to continue my life," he said.
The police report said Dumervil and another man were stuck in traffic on July 14, got into an argument with a female driver, and the two men displayed weapons. Dumervil told police he didn't have a gun; officers say they found one in the car's glove compartment.
Steinberg said Tuesday that the car Dumervil was driving that day belonged to his brother, as did the gun. He said Dumervil's brother has a permit to carry a concealed weapon, but hadn't told Dumervil about the weapon being in the glove compartment.
Although Dumervil has insisted on his innocence all along, he said Tuesday the matter weighed heavily on him.
"I mean, obviously, because I was raised a certain way," he said. "Having to make that phone call to your mom after getting out of jail, she was the first person I called. I wanted to make sure she didn't overreact or get too stressed. She doesn't take bad news too well. So, making that phone call more than anything is what I really remember in this whole situation. So, you know, I'm glad to move forward from that."
Dumervil said he hadn't heard from Commissioner Roger Goodell, who has the power to punish him even without a charge or conviction in a case.
The Broncos (No. 10 in the AP Pro32) already will be without their five-time leading tackler D.J. Williams to start the season. The weakside linebacker is facing a six-game suspension for failing an offseason drug test.
Williams also is facing a drunken-driving trial next week that could result in an even longer suspension.
Dumervil led the league in sacks with 17 in 2009, but tore a chest muscle in camp in 2010, shortly after signing a $58 million contract. He returned last season and compiled 9½ sacks, teaming with NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year Von Miller to form Denver's dreaded "Doom & Gloom" pass-rushing duo.
Both went to the Pro Bowl and are expected to have even bigger seasons with Peyton Manning replacing Tim Tebow and leading a ball-control offense that should give Denver's defense more rest and more leads with which to work.
Online: http://bigstory.ap.org/NFL-Pro32 and http://twitter.com/AP_NFL
Follow AP Pro Football Writer Arnie Stapleton on Twitter: http://twitter.com/arniestapleton