In a sudden turning of the tide, the case against Dominique Strauss-Kahn for alleged sex attacks against a chambermaid at the Sofitel in New York hangs from a thread after reports surfaced that the accuser consistently lied to prosecutors and had connections with drug dealers and money launderers.
Strauss-Kahn was released on his own recognizance Friday morning after prosecutors told a judge at Manhattan Supreme Court that they had doubts about the strength of the case. His passport, though, wasn't returned and the case was not dismissed. The next court date is set for July 18.
While there is “unambiguous” evidence of a sexual encounter, the 32-year-old maid from Guinea has seen her credibility seriously damaged by a series of suspicious events reported by the New York Times. (Read Court Documents Provide Graphic Description Of Alleged Strauss-Kahn Attacks).
Prosecutors working for Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus R. Vance Jr. have found that the woman had a phone conversation a day after the alleged sex attack with an incarcerated man where she discussed the benefits of raising charges against Strauss-Kahn, or DSK as he is known in France. (Read DSK Accuser Actually Cleaned Another Room After Alleged Attack, DA Vance Says).
The man she spoke with had been arrested on charges of possessing 400 pounds of Marijuana and was also one of many who made a series of cash deposits to the chambermaid’s account totaling approximately $100,000 over the last two years, The Times reported.
Investigators also found the woman had paid hefty bills to five different phone companies; she had originally claimed she owned only one phone.
Much more seriously, the maid from Guinea lied to prosecutors about her asylum application some 10 years ago. The prosecution confirmed that there was no indication of previous rape of genital mutilation in her asylum application, as the accuser had claimed. According to the NY Post, the woman could be deported for that.
While the woman had been portrayed as a hard working single mom trying to make a living in New York and worried only about her child, the Post claims investigators have “unearthed photographs of her drinking and partying, despite her professed Muslim faith.”
When questioned about the various inconsistencies in her story, the accuser claimed the deposits were made by her fiancé and his friends, insisted that she only had one cell phone, and reiterated that she had been sexually attacked by DSK. (Read IMF Appoints Lagarde To Fix A Disgraced Institution).