Dryer fire disrupts classes at South Jefferson high, middle schools

Jan. 26—ADAMS — A dryer fire Friday afternoon prompted the evacuation of South Jefferson high and middle schools on Route 11.

Robert D. Simpson, spokesman for the Adams Fire Department, said a report of an alarm activation at the Bruce C. Clarke Building came in on a direct connection to the fire station at 1:28 p.m., simultaneously also alerting Jefferson County 911 dispatchers.

That triggered an automatic response from fire departments at Adams, Adams Center and Lorraine. Simpson said because the school building is the largest structure by square footage within the Adams's department coverage area, departments from Belleville and Mannsville were activated to provide mutual aid.

Simpson said the fire was located in a dryer in a basement near the rear of the building and was extinguished. The fire was contained to the dryer.

"The fire was taken care of relatively quickly, but there was a lot of smoke," he said.

Firefighters also went on the school's roof to pour water into the dryer's vent to make sure any lint inside that was on fire was also extinguished. The building was then ventilated.

Students initially were outside the building, but Simpson said they were bused to the Maynard P. Wilson Elementary School in Adams Center. By the time firefighters cleared the scene, school dismissal time had passed and students were dismissed for the day.

No injuries were reported.