Six years after two women were raped and murdered and their bodies dumped near L.A. freeways, a suspect has been arrested after DNA evidence identified him, police said.
Geovanni Borjas, 32, was arrested Tuesday, the Los Angeles Police Department announced. He has been charged with two counts of murder, two counts of rape and one count of kidnapping, according to the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office.
He pleaded not guilty in an arraignment Tuesday and is being held without bail.
He is accused of killing Michelle Lozano, 17, and Bree’Anna Guzman, 22.
Investigators used familial DNA to pinpoint Borjas, Police Chief Charlie Beck said in a news conference.
Genetic samples in a statewide database showed that Borjas’ father, who had previously been arrested for domestic assault, was a close relative of the attacker in the unsolved 2011 killings.
Police placed the son under surveillance and scooped up a DNA sample when Borjas spit on a sidewalk, the chief said.
Lozano’s body was found in April 2011 by a homeless person who called police. Her nude remains were found in a container near Interstate 5 in East L.A.
Guzman disappeared on Dec. 26, 2011. Her remains were found a month later on the onramp of California State Route 2.
Citing an unnamed source, the Los Angeles Times reported that investigators suspect Borjas knew the victims.