by Irene Fucci
The undisputed trend this season is leather. Whether we’re talking about skater skirts, trench coats, a pair of rad boots or a minimal bag, there’s no such thing as a perfect fall wardrobe without a leather item. But since leather accessories (even vegan leather ones) can be expensive, we decided to experiment with the faux variety to add a bit of edge to our wardrobe with a carry-anywhere clutch. Besides being budget-friendly, this DIY bag is a no-sew project — all you need to hold the bag together is fabric glue! Just follow our tutorial to learn how to recreate this soon-to-be wardrobe staple in eight super easy steps (no sewing machine needed!).
- two 11 x 8-in faux leather rectangles
- black zipper
- dark thread
- leather or fabric glue
1. Take your zipper and squeeze a plentiful amount of leather glue along the edge. Now wait a couple of minutes until your glue becomes completely transparent and fasten your first faux leather rectangle on top. Then repeat on the other side.
2. Now it’s time to glue the sides together. Take your leather glue and “draw” three lines along the left, bottom and right edges and let your glue dry for a while.
3. Open up your zipper.
4. Fold your upper part onto your bottom one and press firmly.
5. Just to be sure that everything will stay in place, hand stitch where the zipper meets the two leather pieces.
6. Cut the corners.
7. Turn your pouch inside out and voila, you’re done.
8. (optional) Complete the look with a pendant of your choice.
Your zipper will act as the anchor for this entire project, so when we say squeeze a plentiful amount of glue along the edges of it, we mean it. Once the glue becomes transparent, fasten your cut faux leather panels to each side. Then, glue the sides together. Be sure to let the glue fully dry before you open up the zipper and place once piece on top of each other, wrong sides out. To make the bag even more durable, hand stitch a seam where the zipper meets your leather pieces. Then snip off the corners at an angle and turn your pouch inside out. Done.
This simple yet elegant pouch will become your every-occasion purse no matter if you are going out on the town or need to store small things (like makeup) when traveling. Just toss on a coat and off you go!
More Brit + Co tutorials: