With the demolition of the last building standing on the former Statler Hotel site, Detroit has a triangular "blank slate" for development. Back in January it was sounding like a hotel was going in, but things have shifted. The most recent proposal we have seen is for what they are calling Statler City Apartments, which would be developed by Village Green. That's the firm that put a putting green and other bizarro design features on the Detroit City Apartments.
The Village Greensters want to build a 200- to 250-unit residential apartment building on the Statler Hotel site that is estimated to cost $35-40M. They hope to start construction in two years. The project got approval from the Downtown Development Authority in March.
· The CARE Building Is Being Torn Apart Right Now! [Curbed Detroit]
· 2 apartment projects OK'd for downtown Detroit; Duggan takes hands-on interest [Freep]
· New Hotel, Residential High Rise Proposed for Statler Site [Curbed Detroit]
· Investors bid to add boutique hotel near new Wings arena [Det News]
· Downtown Detroit's Transformers Set Makes Hong Kong Explode [Curbed]