If you think impressive cake decorating is beyond your skill set, think again! This super-simple and relatively quick cake-decorating technique is the key to making a big impression without having to be a total whiz in the kitchen.
We chose to decorate with white and yellow, but feel free to mix it up! Go simple with milk and white chocolate, or get crazy with the multitude of colors available at the craft and baking stores.
Candy melts, yellow and white
Layer cake, iced with vanilla buttercream
1. Melt yellow and white candy melts, separately, at 50 percent power in the microwave, until completely smooth.
2. On a parchment-lined baking sheet, spoon mounds of white and yellow candy melts on top of each other, leaving about two inches between each multicolor mound.
3. Pull the wooden skewer through each mound, to marbleize the melts and create “sunburst” shapes.
Related on Yahoo Makers: How to Make Chocolate Curls for Cake Decorating
4. Allow the sunburst shapes to dry completely before peeling them from the parchment.
5. Using a little buttercream, attach the sunbursts onto the iced cake, all the way around.
6. Create height by pressing more shapes gently into the top of the cake, all the way around.
Also on Yahoo Makers: