TRIPOLI, Libya (AP) — A health official in Libya's eastern city of Benghazi says the death toll from clashes between protesters and militias has risen to 31.
Director at the city's Jalaa Hospital, Mohamed Belied, told The Associated Press Sunday that several victims died of their wounds. The death toll was previously 27.
Health officials have not said how many casualties are protesters and how many are militiamen.
The violence broke out Saturday when protesters stormed a base belonging to Libya Shield, a grouping of pro-government militias tasked with maintaining security. The protesters were demanding militias leave their camp and submit to the full authority of Libya's security forces.
It remains unclear which side fired first.
The Libyan News Agency LANA says an elite military unit is now in control of the base.