From the moment Palcohol became public knowledge, it was only a matter of time until someone would try to snort powdered alcohol. Palcohol creator Mark Phillips really tried to discourage people from snorting his product, launching a full blown powdered alcohol PSA, before the stuff has even gone on sale. In his informative video, he said snorting the product would "hurt. A LOT."
Regardless, here we are, a mere two weeks later with the first documented powdered alcohol snorting. over at Vice decided to try it for himself, and put the entire experiment on the Internet for our enjoyment.
While Palcohol has not yet hit the shelves, there are recipes online for making your own powdered alcohol. Donaghey used a Popular Science recipe to make his version, which he thinks came out much stronger and more pure than what Palcohol will offer. Before he snorted it, Donaghey ate it straight, put it on pizza, and set it on fire.
As for the actual snorting, it lived up to Phillips unpleasant description:
Somehow, the powder turned straight into glue when it hit my sinuses. I was immediately plugged up. The fumes burned inside my nose, but only for the first minute or so. After that came an uneasy numbness. Maybe all the nerve endings were dead. There was no one left to sound an alarm.
The headache was still present—a throbbing pressure at my temples—but the powder drunk was giving me a weird, out-of-body feeling. If you like headaches and gummed-up sinuses and numb, dissociative drunks, you're going to go apeshit for powdered booze.
At some point after snorting, eating and lighting it on fire, Donaghey passed out. He woke up at 4:00 a.m. with his "face caked with blood from [his] nose." Overall, it sounds like a pretty heinous experience. Again, The Wire strongly, strongly discourages the snorting of Palcohol or any other powdered alcohol. Instead, we urge you to read Donaghey's tale in full and avoid all white powdered stuff.
Thank you for taking one for the team and trying it, River. Now we don't have to. (Neither should anyone else.)
Update, 12:09 PM: Actually, two people have documented their snorting experiences. Jeremy Glass over at Supercompressor was first to the powdered alcohol snorting game. He had a similarly terrible experience:
The bit that I pounded up my smell-hole burned like the time I snarfed Goldsclhäger at the 13th Step. I ended up with a righteous headache that made the proposition of a second round extremely unappetizing.
Thank you, Jeremy, for paving the way for powdered alcohol snorters everywhere.
Seriously, don't do this. It's a terrible idea.
This article was originally published at http://www.thewire.com/business/2014/05/of-course-someone-already-tried-to-snort-powdered-alcohol/371400/