Contador escapes doping ban, set to keep Tour win

PAUL LOGOTHETIS - AP Sports Writer
FILE - In this Oct. 30, 2010 file photo, cyclist Alberto Contador of Spain speaks on a cell phone in Oviedo, Spain. The Spanish cycling federation was nearing a decision in Alberto Contador's case as Spanish reports suggested he will not be banned for failing a doping test, clearing the way for him to keep his Tour de France title. Spanish cycling federation head Juan Carlos Castano told The Associated Press the disciplinary committee is still deliberating with the official decision not expected before late Monday, Feb. 14, 2011. (AP Photo/Paco Paredes, File)
View photos
FILE - In this Oct. 30, 2010 file photo, cyclist Alberto Contador of Spain speaks on a cell phone in Oviedo, Spain. The Spanish cycling federation was nearing a decision in Alberto Contador's case as Spanish reports suggested he will not be banned for failing a doping test, clearing the way for him to keep his Tour de France title. Spanish cycling federation head Juan Carlos Castano told The Associated Press the disciplinary committee is still deliberating with the official decision not expected before late Monday, Feb. 14, 2011.

Alberto Contador's lawyer says the Spanish cycling federation has cleared the rider of doping, reversing its proposal to ban him one year for a positive test at the Tour de France.

Contador will keep his third Tour title and can participate in this year's race, but the International Cycling Union and the World Anti-Doping Agency can appeal the decision to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

Contador tested positive for the banned substance clenbuterol during last year's Tour. He blamed the result on eating contaminated beef.