GOMA, Congo (AP) — Rebels, who finally withdrew from this regional capital over the weekend, said they are waiting for a 48-hour deadline to expire on Monday afternoon, before deciding if they will take back the city.
After a nearly two-week occupation, the M23 rebel group agreed to leave Goma on the condition that Congo's government enters into negotiations with them by 2 p.m. Monday.
Rebel spokesman Col. Vianney Kazarama said: "We are currently 20 kilometers (12 miles) outside of Goma. We gave Kinshasa a 48-hour deadline and we are now waiting for these 48 hours to expire."
He added: "You should call Congo and ask them what they plan to do. They have not yet contacted us. And we are waiting to see what happens, before pronouncing ourselves."