KINSHASA, Congo (AP) — The government spokesman for Congo is accusing neighboring Rwanda and the M23 rebels of preparing more attacks in volatile eastern Congo.
Lambert Mende told reporters Monday that Congolese authorities have "confirmed with certainty" that the rebels are backed by Rwanda and are planning to launch a fresh offensive.
There was no immediate reaction from Rwanda, though the country has vigorously denied that it provides support and training to the M23 rebels. A United Nations group of experts, though, says that evidence shows Rwanda backs the rebels.
The M23 fighters launched their rebellion last year and briefly held Goma — a city of some 1 million people — about a year ago.