Colorado prosecutors seek return of kidnap suspect

Associated Press

LONGMONT, Colo. (AP) — Colorado prosecutors are working to take custody of a 51-year-old man jailed in Canada after authorities say he attacked his estranged wife with pepper spray and a stun gun at her home north of Denver, kidnapped their young son and fled the country.

Monty Turner was arrested Sunday in Brandon, Manitoba, with 3-year-old Luke, who lives with his mother in Longmont. A court order prohibits the father from contacting his wife and son.

Authorities said the boy was unharmed, and they were working to reunite him with his mother Monday. Longmont is about 35 miles north of Denver.

Brandy Turner, Luke's mother, told The Associated Press Monday she has spoken with Luke on the phone, and he knows he's coming home. She said she can't go get him because she has no passport.

Turner told police she stepped outside her home to smoke a cigarette as Luke was having breakfast Saturday. She then saw her husband in the backyard, the Longmont Daily Times-Call reported Monday ( ).

She said she went inside, closed and locked the door and tried to call 911, but Monty Turner forced his way inside and threw the phone to the floor.

Brandy Turner said they began to scuffle, and Monty Turner shot pepper spray into her face. She said she then felt an electric shock she believed to be from a stun gun.

She said she went to another room and called 911, and then saw Monty Turner leaving on a bicycle with Luke.

Monty Turner was found with the boy in a motel in Manitoba, but police have not said publicly how they tracked them there. Monty Turner was being held on suspicion of kidnapping, burglary and assault. It wasn't known Monday if he had an attorney.

Earlier Sunday, the boy's grandfather, Ronald Turner, 72, was pulled over in southwest Missouri on a warrant for second-degree kidnapping. He was driving a vehicle with a license plate number listed on the Amber Alert.

Missouri State Highway Patrol Sgt. Bill Lowe said the grandfather was alone when he was pulled over and was being held at the Bates County Jail.


Information from: Daily Times-Call,