HACKENSACK, N.J. (AP) — New Jersey fire officials say an 82-year-old homeless man with emphysema accidentally caused a car explosion when his cigarette ignited gas from a leaking oxygen tank inside his vehicle.
The Record (http://bit.ly/zmokD3) reports four people — the man, two police officers and Fire Department Lt. Stephen Lindner — were hurt in Tuesday's explosion in Hackensack. Lindner and the officers escaped serious injury, while the man only suffered superficial injuries.
Officials say Lindner was approaching the smoke-filled car with a hose when it exploded. Moments earlier, an employee of a nearby store had pulled the man from the car.
Fire Chief Matt Wagner told the newspaper the man, who wasn't identified, uses about a tank of oxygen a day and was storing them and his other possessions in his car.
Information from: The Record, http://www.northjersey.com