Where is ‘ChiefsAholic’? Fan charged in bank robbery allegedly cut off ankle monitor

The Kansas City Chiefs superfan who dubbed himself ‘ChiefsAholic’ was arrested Friday, July 7, 2023, in California.

A Kansas City Chiefs superfan charged with robbing an Oklahoma bank is missing after cutting off his ankle monitor, according to prosecutors.

An Oklahoma judge issued a warrant Monday for Xaviar Babudar, 28, a well-known fan who went by “ChiefsAholic” online. He was initially charged in December with armed robbery at a credit union in Bixby, south of Tulsa. His arrest went viral on social media as fans speculated about the incident.

Katie Keleher, a spokesperson for the Tulsa County District Attorney’s Office, said Babudar had been released with an ankle monitor in February. He also faced a charge of assault while masked or disguised.

On Saturday, a case manager was alerted that the GPS monitor had possibly been removed, according to court records. An officer found the monitor, which had been cut, in a wooded area near E. 79th Place in Tulsa. Court services was unable to find Babudar.

After Babudar did not appear at his arraignment Monday morning, District Judge Michelle Keely issued the warrant and set his bond at $1 million.

The district attorney’s office told The Star it has filed an additional felony charge against Babudar for removing the electronic monitoring device.

Tracy Tiernan, Babudar’s attorney, told The New York Times he reached out to Babudar but has not “had a response.”

The December robbery occurred at the Tulsa Teachers Credit Union on Memorial Drive. Babudar was caught in a nearby neighborhood with a weapon and a large amount of cash, according to 2NewsOklahoma, a TV news station in Tulsa.

Police dispelled rumors that Babudar was clad in a wolf mask, as he was known to wear at Chiefs games, during the robbery.

Babudar was known for his Twitter account, where he posted photos of himself in his wolf costume at Chiefs games to his tens of thousands of followers. After Kansas City’s victory in Super Bowl LVII, the account posted a video; the person seen in it was wearing an ankle monitor. His Twitter account no longer exists.

In court filings, Babudar has listed his mailing address in Overland Park, but he also called himself homeless. He wrote that his last employment was in 2020 in a warehouse.

In January, Babudar’s public defender at the time filed a motion seeking to reduce his bond, saying his then-bond of $200,000 was excessive. In that filing, his attorney said Babudar reported having been self-employed for about five years.

“Mr. Babudar is determined to reach a conclusion in this matter and knows that he must be present for all of his court appearances to see that this case is resolved,” Thomas Reese wrote. “If he is released from custody, Mr. Babudar will have a greater opportunity to assist in his defense.”

Another judge, Kasey Baldwin, reduced Babudar’s bond to $80,000 and ordered that he remain in Oklahoma.

In a letter to the judge last month, an attorney for a woman who called herself “one of Mr. Babudar’s victims” said that after the Super Bowl, Babudar made a social media post that his client interpreted as a threat. The lawyer had asked that Babudar’s bail be revoked.

The woman, who was a bank teller at the credit union, posted on social media Saturday with a screen shot of the court services text she received to alert her that Babudar’s GPS unit was removed. The text asked her to call police immediately if she saw him.

“Now we are all left to relive the fear that we experienced that day,” she wrote in her post, “and we will probably never receive justice for what happened.”

The Star’s Anna Spoerre contributed to this report.