A California prison official has said that the notorious criminal Charles Manson is alive, following reports that he was hospitalized. According to TMZ, Manson was taken from Corcoran State Prison in California to a hospital in Bakersfield after he suffered an undisclosed medical issue.
California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation spokeswoman Terry Thornton told the Associated Press late Tuesday that Manson was still assigned to the prison but declined to say if the convicted killer was hospitalized. She reportedly added that privacy laws prohibited her from discussing an inmate's medical situation. However, the Los Angeles Times reported that the serial killer is "seriously ill" in hospital.
The prison, where Manson has been serving nine life sentences for the Manson Family murders of actress Sharon Tate and six others, reportedly has medical facilities to treat inmates requiring urgent or emergency care.
"In general, inmates are sent to outside hospitals if they need surgical services, emergency care, or diagnostic services of an acute nature," Joyce Hayhoe, a spokeswoman for the federal receiver who controls prison medical care, reportedly said. "These services are not provided in state prison facilities."
Tate, the wife of director Roman Polanski and 8 1/2 weeks pregnant, was killed in her Benedict Canyon home. Others who were killed at Tate’s home were Jay Sebring, 35; Voytek Frykowski, 32; Abigail Folger, 25, a coffee heiress, and Steven Parent, 18, a friend of Tate's caretaker.
Here are some of the quotes by Manson during his trial:
- "I don’t know all the things you know, but you don’t know the things I know either, and I don’t disrespect you and take your rights. So give me my fucking rights. You can’t fool me. You can’t trick me. I didn’t have nothing to do with killing those people, period. I’ve told you that all the way down the line. I wasn’t around anyone when they were killed. I’m not saying I’m not capable of doing it myself, but I’m just saying this: I did not do that. And I could’ve proved it in a court of law." — Charles Manson, 1997.
- "People want to buy that insanity. They don’t want the truth. They want fear, they want violence, they want sex and drugs and guns." — Charles Manson, 1992, at Michal Ben Horin interview.
- “There’s been fifty-million people that died since Sharon Tate died and I got everybody in Santa Claus land chasing me, trying to make me feel remorse for one psychotic episode of (Tex) Watson.” — Charles Manson, 1994.
- “What do the animals do in the zoo? That’s the same thing that I do in my cell. I play with myself. I make little string dolls. I talk to roaches. I’m in jail for nine counts of murder, and I didn’t do it. I’m in solitary confinement, may I add.” — Charles Manson, 1985.
- "Remorse for what? You people have done everything in the world to me, doesn't that give me equal right? I can do anything I want to you people anytime I want to because that's what you've done to me! Maybe I should've killed 4 or 500 people then I would've felt better. Then I would've felt that I really offered society something. You've got it stuck in your brain that I murdered somebody. What do you want to call me a murder for? I've never killed anyone! I don't need to kill anyone! I think it! I have it here!" — Charles Manson on YouTube.
“I might be a danger to your stupidity and I’m a danger to your ignorance, but I’m not a danger to intelligent life forms. I’m not a danger to the people who want to exist on the planet. I’m not a danger to farmers, I’m not a danger to poor people, I’m not a danger to soldiers who don’t want to hurt nobody, who don’t wanna go to war.” — Charles Manson, 2011.