Conservative billionaire Charles Koch's eponymous charitable foundation today announced it's giving the United Negro College Fund $25 million to primarily fund thousands of merit-based scholarships.
While the development may come as a shock to some Democrats and liberals, particularly those like Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid who've sought to vilify Charles Koch and brother David as self-centered industrialists bent on buying elections, it's status quo for the elder Koch sibling.
As the Center for Public Integrity reported in March:
Various Koch-backed charitable foundations have also made massive contributions to medicine and the arts as well as sizable grants to a variety of politics- and government-focused outfits.
- Inside the Koch brothers' campus crusade
- Koch's web of influence
- CVS backs Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder's NERD Fund
- Koch brothers pour more cash into think tanks, ALEC
- Supreme Court opens door to flood of political cash — again
- Koch Industries PAC bolts to fast start in 2013
Copyright 2014 The Center for Public Integrity. This story was published by The Center for Public Integrity, a nonprofit, nonpartisan investigative news organization in Washington, D.C.