Catholic Diocese of Sacramento to file for bankruptcy next month following sexual abuse lawsuits

(FOX40.COM) — Bishop Jamie Soto of the Catholic Diocese of Sacramento said the diocese would file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy on April 1.

The diocese previously announced the plan to file for bankruptcy in December as a result of over 200 lawsuits alleging sexual abuse of minors but did not disclose a date.

Woman on bicycle struck, killed by truck near Auburn

“…[T]he bankruptcy process is the only respectful, and equitable way to address the substantial number of claims by those who have been abused by clergy and other Church Workers,” Soto said. “Bankruptcy is a lengthy process, but it provides supervision and transparency for all the parties involved so that an equitable resolution is offered to the victim-survivors of abuse. “

The diocese said it would set up a page for news about the bankruptcy proceedings.

“As this journey of atonement continues, join me in prayer for all the victim-survivors of abuse.   May the Lord of mercies also renew us in our commitment to be the disciples of Jesus,” Soto said. “Only by God’s grace will we emerge from this penitential exercise with greater resolve to be a humble sanctuary of holiness and healing for all the sons and daughters of God in Northern California.”

For the latest news, weather, sports, and streaming video, head to FOX40.