In this still frame from TV and courtesy of South African Daily Sun newspaper, showing a South African man with his hands tethered to the back of a police vehicle being dragged behind as police hold his legs up and the vehicle apparently drives off, east of Johannesburg Tuesday Feb. 26, 2013. The man died of his injuries. In video filmed on a mobile phone, uniformed police are seen trying to subdue the man, then tethering him to the back of a police vehicle which drives off, watched by a large crowd. Moses Dlamini of the Independent Police Investigative Directorate said early Thursday Feb. 28 2013 on ENCA TV network that his service has opened a murder probe. (AP Photo/The Daily Sun) TV OUT
JOHANNESBURG (AP) — The bail application for the eight South African police officers facing murder charges in last week's death of a Mozambican taxi driver dragged by a police vehicle along the street has been postponed until Friday.
Outside the court room, protesters were demanding no bail be granted to the officers, insisting the horrific videotaped scenes of last Tuesday's abuse should be enough to keep all behind bars.
The restraining and dragging of Mido Macia, who had allegedly parked his taxi in the wrong spot, was videotaped by onlookers in the township of Daveyton and quickly became a worldwide symbol of police brutality in South Africa.
The representative of the Mozambican government Jose Nascimento said that "everyone is outraged with this matter, this is absolutely inexplicable."