A California father who drugged, sexually assaulted and killed the 14-year-old daughter whose remains were found in 2009 buried in the backyard of the family’s former home faces life in prison without parole after confessing to those and other crimes against female minors, PEOPLE confirms.
The guilty plea announced Tuesday by Mark Edward Mesiti, 49, of Modesto, abruptly cut short his murder trial at which prosecutors were pursuing the death penalty against him, Stanislaus County District Attorney Birgit Fladager announced in a statement.
Mesiti’s daughter, Alycia, was reported missing in August 2007. Her remains were located on March 25, 2009, buried behind Mesiti’s former rental home in Ceres, California, from which he was evicted a few months after she disappeared, reports The Modesto Bee.
An autopsy found she died of acute drug intoxication with the presence in her body of opiates, morphine, amphetamine, methamphetamine and other drugs.
Mesiti had been awarded custody of his daughter less than a year before her death, even after a judge was made aware that in the seven years prior, the father had been convicted of state and federal charges that included drunk driving and bank fraud, reports The Mercury News.
Mesiti also had been charged with domestic violence and ordered to attend anger-management classes, and jailed for failing to attend drug- and alcohol- treatment programs, the newspaper reports.
Authorities who arrested Mesiti in Los Angeles when his daughter’s remains were found alleged that he was operating a meth lab, and he was convicted in 2011 of manufacturing meth.
Upon his arrest they also recovered several computers, hard drives, DVDs, CDs and other digital media that showed he possessed “hundreds of thousands of images involving child pornography,” according to the prosecutor’s office.
Mesiti was charged with murder with special circumstances in the death of Alycia, along with 48 other felony sexual assault charges.
During the trial that began Oct. 3, Mesiti’s defense attorney Martin Baker argued that Alycia’s diary suggested she was a drug addict, with her writing in one passage that she “wanted to feel nothing,” reports the Turlock Journal.
He said the presumed manner of her death from an overdose “will require a not-guilty verdict.”
• Want to keep up with the latest crime coverage? Click here to get breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases in the True Crime Newsletter.
But as the trial that was expected to last for months continued, Mesiti’s attorneys offered to have him plead guilty to all counts if the prosecutor would agree not to seek the death penalty, according to the prosecutor’s office.
Chief Deputy District Attorney Annette Rees agreed to the plea — with a sentence of life in prison without parole — if Mesiti he would confess to his crimes in open court.
“Mesiti told the court he committed rape, sodomy, oral copulation, digital penetration and child molestation involving his daughter, Alycia, many times over several different occasions,” the prosecutor’s office says. “He admitted having given Alycia drugs on each occasion to make her unable to resist his attacks. Mesiti also admitted that his administration of those drugs caused Alycia’s death.”
“Finally, Mesiti admitted taking many sexually explicit photographs of his daughter Alycia and two other minors under 18 years old,” the statement said. “He also said he molested the two other minors while he lived in Los Angeles.”
Mesiti’s attorneys declined comment to the media after the guilty verdict.
“It’s over,” Alycia’s maternal great-aunt, Roberta Fitzpatrick, said after Mesiti pleaded guilty, according to the Bee. “I just want to put this all behind me, except for honoring Alycia.”
Formal sentencing is set for Nov. 28.