Bremerton man killed in police shooting was facing child sexual assault charges

fire truck siren

An investigation into the fatal shooting of a Bremerton man in September by Jefferson County sheriff's deputies is underway and the deputies involved in the shooting returned to work after officials reviewed body camera footage of the confrontation.

At the time of the shooting in the Hood Canal community of Brinnon, Timothy Colin Connor, 49, was facing two counts of second-degree rape of a child in Kitsap County Superior Court. Connor was wanted for a bench warrant because he did not show up for a court hearing in April, but deputies initially contacted him Sept. 23 while investigating a hit-and-run crash from August.

A team of detectives led by the Washington State Patrol is investigating the shooting and it identified the deputies involved as Sgt. Ryan Menday and Detective Brian Anderson. When it is completed, it will be sent to Jefferson County prosecutors to review for charges.

Connor was shot at about 2:44 p.m. near the Brinnon Community Center, 306144 Highway 101.

Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office Undersheriff Andy Persteiner said Menday and Anderson had contacted Connor while investigating a hit-and-run case from Aug. 11 at the Brinnon General Store. Connor was not driving the vehicle, it was being driven by a woman who struck a parked car at the store.

On the day of the shooting, Anderson contacted Connor, who had a bench warrant for failing to appear for a hearing April 11 in Kitsap County Superior Court. When Anderson attempted to arrest Connor, he fled in a vehicle, according to State Patrol Sgt. Chelsea Hodgson.

Hours later Connor returned to the area and crashed his vehicle into a parked vehicle, which was occupied, and then fled on foot. When Anderson and Menday found him Connor presented a weapon, Hodgson said. A handgun that did not belong to either Anderson or Menday was found at the scene, according to statements from the state patrol.

After he was shot, Connor was flown to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle where he was pronounced dead.

In addition to the state patrol, detectives from the Mason County and Grays Harbor sheriff’s offices are investigating the shooting.

The office had equipped deputies with body-worn cameras in April, and about a month following the shooting Menday and Anderson returned to work after Persteiner said he and Sheriff Joe Nole viewed the footage. Persteiner said the cameras captured the entire incident.

“Without camera evidence we would have to wait for the investigation to come back from the independent party,” Persteiner said.

Connor had pleaded not guilty to the sexual assault charges, but in October 2018 when confronted by Kitsap County sheriff's detectives Connor confessed to assaulting the girl, who was known to him. The case against Connor had been pending since that time.

“Yeah, I messed up,” Connor said, according to court documents.

In a letter to the court, the girl wrote that as a result of the rapes she endured, she is put on edge in the presence of adults, especially men, and has struggled with the upheaval that followed the disclosure of what Connor did to her.

“I think he underestimated my ability to reach out to people,” the girl wrote. “I believe he never would have thought I would be brave enough to stand up to him and tell the truth and expose him for what he is – a rapist and a terrible person.”

Efforts to contact the girl’s mother through an attorney were unsuccessful.

This article originally appeared on Kitsap Sun: Washington man killed in police shooting faced child rape charges