Deadly blasts devastate the storied race, and details are rushing in fast and furious
Two explosions on Boylston Street have reportedly left dozens of bystanders injured at the Boston Marathon on Monday. (Watch live news coverage here.) Bandwidth issues are clogging the telephone lines of attendees trying to reach loved ones. Here, a constantly updating guide to what we know so far:
10:35 p.m. EST: A building at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, which is just across the Charles River from Boston in Cambridge, Mass., has been lit like the American flag. A picture of that can be seen here, via Twitter.
10:07 p.m. EST: A surgeon at Massachusetts General Hospital has confirmed that doctors there have performed "several amputations." He said eight patients have been classified as being in "critical" condition, but declined to give specifics on the total number of patients and the exact severity of their injuries.
10:00 p.m. EST: Nearly 5,000 runners did not finish Monday's race after police shut it down, according to the Boston Globe.
9:57 p.m. EST: The Brooklyn Academy of Music has projected an inspirational message to Boston on the facade of one of its buildings. "Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that," the message, a quote by Martin Luther King Jr., reads.
9:55 p.m. EST: The Associated Press has posted raw footage of the second explosion going off. You can watch it here.
9:38 p.m. EST: The elderly runner in a widely-circulated photo of the attack managed to get up under his own power and finish the race, according to the Seattle Times. The 78-year-old man, Bill Iffrig, told the paper he was determined to finish despite being bowled over in the blast. "We're not quitters," he said.
9:30 p.m. EST: Tuesday's scheduled basketball game between the Boston Celtics and Indiana Pacers has been canceled, and will not be rescheduled. "Out of respect to all those who have been impacted by the tragic events today in Boston, including members of the extended Celtics family, the Boston Celtics and the NBA have decided to cancel the game scheduled for Tuesday, April 16, between the Boston Celtics and the Indiana Pacers," a statement on the Celtics team site reads.
9:27 p.m. EST: The Internal Revenue Service is giving Boston-area residents an extension to complete their tax returns, according to the Associated Press. The IRS offered few specific details up front, but will provide more information Tuesday.
9:14 p.m. EST: Politico is reporting that police do in fact have a "person of interest" whom they are questioning, seemingly contradicting the public statements made Monday night by Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis that there was no such suspect. Several news outlets reported earlier in the day that the person of interest was a Saudi national. Politico did not confirm the nationality of the alleged person of interest in their initial report, though their sources said it was someone in the U.S. on a student visa.
9:06 p.m. EST: Police and public officials will hold another news conference Tuesday morning at 9:30. Until then, they've said they won't offer any more specifics on the investigation or on the condition of those wounded in the attacks.
9:04 p.m. EST: Department of Homeland Security head Janet Napolitano has issued a statement on the attack: "Federal, state, and local law enforcement agencies continue to respond, and at the President's direction, the Department of Homeland Security is providing any support necessary in this ongoing investigation. We encourage the public to be vigilant, and to listen to direction from state and local officials."
9:01 p.m. EST: BPD commissioner Davis declined to give a hard count on the number of injuries related to the explosions, saying only that "it was a very powerful blast'' that resulted in "serious, serious injuries.'' Various news reports peg the injury tally at well over 100, with CNN putting the total at 141.
8:56 p.m. EST: The death toll has risen to three, according to BPD commissioner Davis.
8:55 p.m. EST: Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis shot down earlier reports that police had a suspect in custody, but said they are interviewing witnesses as part of the ongoing investigation.
8:52 p.m. EST: FBI agent Richard DesLauriers, speaking at a press conference Monday night, said that the explosions are being treated as a criminal case now, but that they could become part of a terrorist case. "It is a criminal investigation that is a potential terrorist investigation," he said.
8:46 p.m. EST: In a second press conference Monday night, Governor Deval Patrick announced that the FBI has taken over the investigation. He added that there will be heightened security throughout the city, and that there will be random bag checks on the city's public transit. "It will not be business as usual" for Boston on Tuesday, he said.
8:43 p.m. EST: The Wall Street Journal is reporting that police have found and destroyed what they believe were five other undetonated explosive devices around the city.
6:15 p.m. EST: President Obama addressed the nation from the White House Monday evening, asking all Americans to "say a prayer for Boston tonight."
"We reaffirm that on days like this there are no Republicans or Democrats," the president said. "We are Americans united in our concern for our fellow citizens"
Obama added that there is as yet no suspect in custody, nor a solid explanation for who may have carried out the attacks or why.
5:32 p.m. EST: Earlier in the day, The New York Post reported that a "Saudi national who suffered shrapnel wounds in today's blast" has been identified as "a suspect in the Boston Marathon bombing." Boston police have denied The Post's story. "Honestly, I don't know where they're getting their information from, but it didn't come from us," said a police spokesperson.
5:28 p.m. EST: The toll is now 90 injured, 2 dead, according to The Boston Globe.
5:17 p.m. EST: NBC reports that some of the marathoners are running past the finish line to Massachusetts General Hospital to donate blood to victims.
5:14 p.m. EST: The Boston Globe has just released this footage of the explosions on Boylston Street:
5:11 p.m. EST: Official statement from Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick:
This is a horrific day in Boston. My thoughts and prayers are with those who have been injured. I have been in touch with the President, Mayor Menino and our public safety leaders. Our focus is on making sure that the area around Copley Square is safe and secured. I am asking everyone to stay away from Copley Square and let the first responders do their jobs. [Via Slate]
5:07 p.m. EST: The AP reports that law enforcement is shutting down all cellphone service in the Boston area to prevent the remote detonation of explosives.
5:00 p.m. EST: Google has released a tool to help people find missing loved ones. You can also call 617-635-4500. Authorities are looking for tipsters with any information on the bombings at 1-800-494-TIPS.
4:55 p.m. EST: The toll is now 64 injured, 2 dead, according to The Boston Globe.
4:47 p.m. EST: Earlier reports suggested an incident at the John F. Kennedy library on the other side of town. The Washington Post reports that the fire there was unrelated to the marathon explosions.
4:35 p.m. EST: USA Today reports that President Obama was notified of the explosions at 3 p.m. and that the White House has been coordinating with Massachusetts and Boston authorities.
4:29 p.m. EST: According to the Associated Press, Boston police have confirmed that the explosions were caused by two bombs. In addition, two additional explosives have also been discovered and are reportedly being dismantled.
4:25 p.m. EST: The Washington Post reports that 19 people were sent to Massachusetts General Hospital with six of them in critical condition. Liam Martin, a reporter for WCVB-TV in Boston, tweets that the director of the hospital has described the injuries as "from a war zone."
4:21 p.m. EST: ABC News reports that the FAA has issued a temporary flight restriction over the Boston area.
4:07 p.m. EST: The tally: 22 injured, 2 dead, according to the Boston Police Department. Firefighters have been asked to turn off their cell phones.
3:52 p.m. EST: Reuters reports that the NYPD has stepped up security around major landmarks and large hotels in response to the explosions in Boston.
3:27 p.m. EST: ABC News reports that Boston police are warning people to avoid trash cans. Massachusetts General hospital has received four patients and is expecting more.
Other stories from this section: