The weekday report for the topics and people that are trending on
Yahoo! and across the Web for Thursday, April 5, 2012.
Research by Search editor Mahlon Chute
A "too pretty" woman responds to the backlash. Here comes the sons, as a Beatles offspring proposes a generational reboot. And a brief pause in music, in memory of the founder of the amp. All together now, a look at what else is spiking on the Web.
- Jim Marshall: The "Father of Loud" and inventor of the Marshall amp, favored by '60s rockers such as Jimi Hendrix and Pete Townshend, died at age 88. Condolences are being left on a special website.
- Samantha Brick: A British columnist published a Daily Mail column Tuesday titled, "There are downsides to looking this pretty: Why women hate me for being beautiful." The article triggered a tirade of criticism and ridicule online. Related searches: Samantha Brick photos; Too Pretty Samantha Brick; Who is Samantha Brick
- Beatles Son Band: The BBC talked to James McCartney, who looks a lot like poppa Paul, about starting a second-generation band, and that off-hand joke has fired up a lot of hope. Meanwhile, son McCartney sold out his first concert at the club where the Fab Four first started. Related search: beatles 39 son band, beatles offspring band
NEWS & POLITICS
- George McGovern: The former South Dakota senator and Democratic presidential candidate has been reported to be in good condition, after the 89-year-old was admitted to a Florida hospital after experiencing several blackouts.
- Khalid Sheikh Mohammed: The arraignment for the alleged mastermind of the September 11, 2001, attacks and four others will be held at a military prison at Guantanamo Bay in May. The five suspected co-conspirators may face the death penalty if convicted. The prison still holds 171 men.
- Charles Manson: The Los Angeles County district attorney's office plans to oppose the mass murderer's bid for release at his 12th parole hearing since 1978. The Department of Corrections has released recent photos of the 77-year-old.
- Internet Trolling: Arizona House Bill 2549 to make Internet trolling illegal was passed by both legislative houses last week, but Internet outrage may have crippled it.
BUSINESS & MONEY
- STOCK Act: President Obama signed into law the Stop Trading on Congressional Knowledge Act on Wednesday, and his call-out to Congresswoman Louise Slaughter gave her online profile a bump.
- Google Project Glass: The virtual-reality glasses, which incorporate the functionality of a smartphone, have received a wide mix of reactions. Related searches: augmented reality, google glasses, google goggles
- Nicolas Cage: Cage, who has been behind in his taxes, has settled with the IRS for $6.25 million in back taxes. Cage reportedly still owes an additional $7 million.
- Tiki Divorce: Tiki Barber and Ginny Barber have finalized their divorce. The couple were married for 11 years.
- Rihanna: The singer told Elle Magazine that she stands by her reconciliation with ex-boyfriend Chris Brown.
- Hilaria Thomas: Alec Baldwin, recently engaged to yoga instructor Thomas, exploded on Twitter about the "no-talent trash from the Daily News for invading the privacy of 75 people in a yoga class to take a picture of someone."
- Elizabeth Catlett: The Mexican-American sculptor and printmaker died April 2 at the age of 96.
- Jared Sullinger: The Ohio State power forward announced he will be leaving school to enter the 2012 NBA draft.
- Andrew Bynum: Recovering from an ankle injury, the center scored a game-high 36 points for the Lakers in winning play against the Clippers.
- Masters Golf 2012: The first round at the Masters is in progress in Augusta, Ga., with Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus, and Gary Player hitting the ceremonial first shots. The club is facing growing scrutiny for its men-only policies. Related searches: pga tour, pga, augusta national, augusta national golf club
- Marlins New Stadium: The Marlins' new stadium was debuted yesterday. While the stadium inspired high praise, the Marlins were unable to defeat the Cardinals for the stadium's debut game.
HOLIDAYS, EVENTS & ANNIVERSARIES
- Maundy Thursday: The last Thursday before Easter Sunday is a Christian feast day that commemorates the Last Supper of Jesus Christ. Related searches: holy thursday, tenebrae, holy week
- Passover: The Jewish holiday begins Saturday and ends Friday. Related searches: passover recipes, passover dessert recipes
- New York Auto Show: The New York International Auto Show is being held from April 6 to 15, 2012. Press previews were held this week.
- Flying Car: Terrafugia has successfully test-flown its prototype PAL-V (personal air and land vehicle). The "flying car" was unveiled at the New York Auto Show and may enter the market as early as 2012.
- Plug-In Car: Fisker Automotive has unveiled the Atlantic, a high-end plug-in car.
- Chrysler Viper: Chrysler unveiled their 2013, 640 horsepower, SRT Viper.
HIGHLIGHTS FROM AROUND THE WEB
What's popular on Yahoo!, Twitter, Google Trends, CNN, BBC, Hollywood Reporter, and other sources.
Yahoo! News Most Popular
- 'Merchant of Death' arms dealer faces possible life sentence
- The next Cuban revolution?
- Poll: Romney leads in Santorum's home state
- Americans brace for next foreclosure wave
- Marine Obama critic to argue free-speech case at hearing
- Pilot turns back after snake pops out of dashboard
- France says Syria's Assad pretending to accept peace plan
- Nursing director thinks she was target of Oakland shooter
- Texas residents sift through tornado rubble
- Former Sen. George McGovern hospitalized
Twitter Trends (USA)
- Justin and 1D
- Happy Opening Day
- Pizza Or Burgers
- Peter Andre
- Facebook Moments 101
- Samantha Brick
- Clashes erupt in Syria ahead of U.N. arrival
- Coroner: Houston face-down in tub
- Conn. Senate votes to halt death penalty
- Ariz. sheriff may face federal suit
- Sandusky seeks dismissal of charges
- 200 homes destroyed in Texas twisters
- Ship swept away by tsunami nears U.S.
- Euro debt fears are back
- Upper Big Branch mine to be sealed
- 'Merchant of death' faces prison
- Clashes as U.N. team visits Syria
- Greek unrest after man's suicide
- Woods and McIlroy head U.S. Masters field
- N. Korea 'needle assassin' jailed
- Google-augmented glasses unveiled
- U.S. set to relax Burma sanctions
- Mali's rebels declare cease-fire
- Rocket hits Israeli city of Eilat
- Afghan anti-Taliban leader killed
- Patagonia dam approved in Chile
Catch up with the latest Trending Now video