The weekday report for the topics and people that are trending on
Yahoo! and across the Web for Monday, March 26, 2012.
Research by Search editor Wilfred Abellon
Long waits paid off this weekend. Pent-up demand for the award-winning AMC drama "Mad Men" exploded after 17 months, as a record number of viewers tuned in to find out what's up with Don Draper's crew. That hold-up though was three months less than the former vice president's anticipation to get a new heart. But, Tiger Woods had 'em all beat, when he finally ended a 30-month title drought. Wait no longer to find out what people have been catching up on this Monday.
- Mad Men: Season 5 of the hit series returned Sunday night after a 17-month hiatus. Among the many "mad" online searches, such as the Zou Bisous song, "Witch Eats" spiked after the show's star January Jones revealed that she eats her placenta to fight exhaustion. Related Searches: Madmen, Madmen Season 4, January Jones
- Dick Cheney: Dick Cheney has a new heart. After waiting for more than 20 months without a pulse, the former Vice President is in recovery after receiving a heart transplant from an unknown donor. Controversy continues over whether Cheney, who waited "longer than average" for his heart, should have received an organ at age 71.
- Tiger Woods: Won The Arnold Palmer Invitational, making it his first PGA Tour win since 2009. He also vows to never have sex with another woman unless he really feels something for her. Related Searches: Elin Nordegren, Rory Mcilroy, world golf rankings, Hank Haney, PGA leaderboard
- James Cameron Mariana Trench: The "Titanic" and "Avatar" director is the first to perform a solo voyage to the Mariana Trench, the ocean's deepest point, while shooting a planned documentary. Related Searches: Deepsea Challenger
- Shaima Alawadi: The 32 year-old Iraqi-American was taken off life support on Saturday. Possibly the victim of a hate crime, Alawadi was brutally beaten on the head with a tire iron. Left beside her was a hand-written note saying, "Go back to your country, you terrorist." Her body will be flown to her home country for her funeral. Related Searches: Iraqi woman beaten
NEWS & POLITICS
- Paul Ryan: The House Budget Chairman said he would consider an offer as a vice presidential candidate.
- Obama Overheard: The president was overheard asking Russian President Dmitry Medvedev to hold off on the topic of missile defense until after the November elections, when he will have more flexibility. Related Searches: Obama mic
- Obamacare: Today begins the Supreme Court's three days of oral deliberations regarding President Obama's new health care law. Related Searches: Supreme court
- George Zimmerman: Monday marks one month since the Trayvon Martin shooting. George Zimmerman, the man responsible for the teen's death, initially thought the whole thing would just "blow over" but now remains in hiding.
- Reason Rally: A "coming-out" party for atheists, agnostics, and secularists took place in Washington D.C. despite the rain with Richard Dawkins, author of the "The God Delusion," as one of the invited speakers.
- Mississippi State: Two college students were shot to death in Mississippi over the weekend. Arrests have not yet been made. Related Searches: Starkville Mississippi
- Joba Chamberlain: The New York Yankees pitcher will be spending the next six weeks in a cast after dislocating his right ankle while jumping on a trampoline with his 5 year-old son.
- NCAA Basketball Finals: This year's Final Four are Kansas, Kentucky, Ohio State and Louisville. Related Searches: Roy Williams, March madness bracket 2012
- Alonso Wins: Fernando Alonso won the Malaysian Grand Prix on Sunday. Rain briefly halted the Grand Prix, and Alonso faced strong competition from Sergio Perez, who finished second.
- Arnold Palmer: The golf legend was rushed to the hospital due to high blood pressure, and is expected to be released today.
- Chris Carpenter: Nerve irritation in his pitching shoulder will sideline the St. Louis Cardinals pitcher for opening day.
- Andrew Luck: After a great Pro Day performance, The Stanford University college football star is shaping up to be the hottest draft commodity in 10 years and may be a first NFL draft pick.
- Arturo Gatti: The 2009 death of the boxer, and the trials and speculation that surround his now infamous wife, were featured on CBS' nighttime news program, "48 Hours."
- Hunger Games: The film had the third biggest opening of all time, generating $155 million in North America alone, and $214 million globally. That might make for nice royalties for "Hunger Games" actor Liam Hemsworth just in time: His girlfriend Miley Cyrus wore a diamond ring on the red carpet recently, setting off engagement rumors. Related Searches: Jennifer Lawrence, Liam Hemsworth, Josh Hutcherson
- Transcendental Meditation: Oprah Winfrey's new favorite thing.
- October Baby: The independent anti-abortion film was released on 390 screens this weekend.
- Luck Series Finale: The Dustin Hoffman TV series ended last night just two months after its premiere.
- Sass Swimsuits: Supermodel Selita Ebanks debuted her new swimwear line on BET's "Rip the Runway."
- Pillsbury Bake Off: The winner of the bake-off contest will be announced tomorrow on "The Martha Stewart Show."
- Jimmy Fallon Interviews Madonna: The Late Night Show host interviewed the Queen of Pop about her new album "MDNA" via a Facebook live-stream.
- Justin Bieber: The teen pop sensation drops his new single, "Boyfriend," co-written with Mike Posner.
- Camille Grammer: The "Real Housewives of Beverly Hills" star and her 35-year-old boyfriend Dimitri Charalambopoulos were involved in some major public displays of affection in Vegas over the weekend. Related Searches: Kelsey Grammer Kayte Walsh
- Renee Graziano: The mob wife completely lost it when she found out that her father was being arrested on last night's episode of VH1's "Mob Wives."
- Tulisa Constostavalos: The UK "X Factor" judge is suing her ex-boyfriend after he leaked their sex tape.
HIGHLIGHTS FROM AROUND THE WEB
What's popular on Yahoo!, Twitter, Google Trends, CNN, BBC, Hollywood Reporter, and other sources
Yahoo! News Most Popular
• Open mic: Obama says 'after my election I have more flexibility'
• Obama urges North Korea to 'pursue peace'
• Video: Pope puts on sombrero in Mexico
• Wife defends Afghan massacre suspect: 'He would not do that'
• Obama 'super' PAC donors among White House guests
• James Cameron completes journey to Earth's deepest point
• S. Korea warns it might shoot down N. Korean rocket
• Attacker in Afghan uniform kills 2 NATO troops
• Florida man to plead guilty in celebrity
• Reporter says Santorum yelled curse at him on ropeline
Twitter Trends (USA)
• Leopoldo Brizuela
• Zou Bisou Bisou
• Boyfriend is AMAZING
• Justin is OURS
• Good Monday Morning
• James Cameron
• Heart Attack
• 4 Questions That Could Make Or Break The Health Care Law
• In Health Case, Combustible Mix Of Politics And Law
• Facebook May Not Be So Friendly For Those With Low Self-Esteem
• Some Cuban-Americans Wary As Cuba Welcomes Pope
• Cheney Operation Underscores Heart
• Bird Flu Studies Getting Another Round Of Scrutiny By Panel
• Seoul Warns It Might Shoot Down N. Korea Rocket
• Final Four: Kentucky, Kansas, Louisville And Ohio St.
• Easter Egg Hunt Canceled Due To Aggressive Parents
• Pipe Down! That Noise Might Affect Your Plants
• US-China accord on N Korea launch
• Sub reaches Earth's deepest place
• Afghan 'soldier' kills Nato troops
• Senegal's Sall marks poll victory
• Japan shuts down nuclear reactor
• Hunger Games sets US film record
• Mother hurt in UK racist acid attack
• South Africans in rugby drowning
• Kenya announces discovery of oil
• 'Severe flu' gene flaw identified
The Hollywood Reporter
• ABC Family Lands TV Rights to 'Hunger Games' and Sequel
• UPFRONTS 2012: National Geographic Channel Picks up Four New Series
• LISTEN: Justin Bieber's 'Boyfriend' Single Released
• Fandango Sold 17 'Hunger Games' Tickets Per Second at Peak Periods on Opening Day
• Box Office Monster 'Hunger Games' Likely Headed for $350 Mil Domestic Run
• James Cameron Makes Historic Journey to Bottom of the Ocean
• 'Shameless' Music Supervisor on the Show's Devotion to Indie Rock: 'It's Rare That We Use Anything From a Major Label'
• News Corp. Deputy COO James Murdoch Severs All Ties to News International
• 'Game of Thrones' A Ratings Hit In Germany
• Madonna Makes Surprise Appearance at Ultra Music Festival
Catch up with the latest Trending Now video