The updated report for the topics and people that are trending on
Yahoo! and across the Web for Wednesday, March 21, 2012.
Research by Search editors Liz Streng & Christopher Craig
- Mohammed Merah: A 23-year-old man described by French authorities as a self-styled al Qaeda jihadist, has been named as the chief suspect in a series of shootings that have left seven people dead. (PM update)
- Hailey Dunn: Texas police said they have discovered human remains near an airport approximately 40 miles from where 13-year-old Hailey Dunn reportedly disappeared just after Christmas 2010. (PM update)
- Karilyn Bales: The wife of Staff Sgt. Robert Bales, the American soldier suspected of carrying out the March 11 shooting rampage that killed 16 Afghan civilians, is being protected in a Washington military base along with her children. In a statement, she voiced her sadness at the massacre. (PM update)
- Mister Rogers: His birthday was on Tuesday. Throughout March PBS will be airing a new documentary entitled "Mister Rogers & Me" which is about MTV producer Benjamin Wagner's experience living next to the children's show host in Nantucket. Mr. Rogers passed away February 27, 2003.
- Mega Millions: The current jackpot for Mega Millions is now $290 million.
NEWS & POLITICS
- Jeb Bush endorsement: The former governor threw his support behind Romney, tweeting: "I've endorsed @MittRomney. It's time for GOP to unite & take our message of fiscal conservatism & job creation to all voters." (PM update)
- Eliana Lopez: Embattled San Francisco Sheriff Ross Mirkarimi's actress wife. Mayor Ed Lee will move to oust Sheriff Ross Mirkarimi from office for official misconduct over a domestic violence incident. (PM update)
- Clintonville Wisconsin Booms: "A series of mysterious underground booms have been rattling a small eastern Wisconsin city for at least two nights, baffling residents and local officials who were left stumped Tuesday after ruling out numerous theories, from earthquakes to water pressure problems." Related searches: Clintonville Wisconsin, Mysterious booms. (PM update)
- Detroit Consent Agreement: "In an effort to avoid the appointment of an emergency manager for financially struggling Detroit, Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder proposed the city enter into consent agreement, with a nine-member governor-appointed council overseeing the city's finances." (PM update)
- Illinois Primary: Mitt Romney picked up 41 delegates moving closer to the 1,144 goal needed by the Republican convention on August 27. Rick Santorum didn't qualify for ballot in 4 out of the 18 districts. Twitter erupted however after a Romney communications director, in a mix of metaphors, said the political tone for Romney's fall campaign would "hit a reset button ... Everything changes. It's almost like an Etch-A-Sketch." Related searches: Etch-a-Sketch, Illinois election results, republican delegate count 2012, delegate count, Illinois Polls 2012, Karen Santorum, Ann Romney.
- Kensington Palace: The renovated former home to Queen Victoria and Princess Diana, and future home to Prince William and wife Catherine, reopened Monday. Officials hope for visitors from the summer Olympics and the queen's Diamond Jubilee.
- Trayvon Martin Petition: Communication around the shooting of Trayvon Martin is now in focus, as the slain teenager's parents urge focus on his cell phone call to his girlfriend, conduct minutes before the shooting. Media attention has brought thousands of signatures (at last count more than 800,000) to the online petition calling for the arrest of neighborhood watch captain and shooter George Zimmerman. Change.org told ABC it was the "fastest growing petition in Internet history." Related searches: Petition for Trayvon Martin, , Treyvon Martin Phone Call, Trayvon Martin shot, Trayvon Martin 911 Calls, Trayvon Martin Police Report, Trayvon Martin Killed in Fl., Trayvon Martin Funeral, Treyvon Martin Girlfriend.
- Mexico earthquake: An earthquake with a magnitude of 7.4 struck near the resort city of Acapulco, Mexico, yesterday at 12:20 pm. There are no reports of injuries, but aftershocks in Mexico City sent frightened workers and residents into the streets.
- Kiribati: Rising sea levels are prompting leaders of the island nation of Kiribati to consider moving the entire island's populace to nearby Fiji.
- Paul Ryan: Rep. Paul Ryan (R., Wis.) Chairman of the House Budget Committee, unveiled the Path to Prosperity, the GOP's latest budget plan.
- Malia's Mexico trip: Rick Santorum criticized President Obama yesterday for allowing his daughter Malia Obama to go on a Spring break trip to Oaxaca, Mexico, mistakenly believing that the US State Department had issued a travel warning for that state.
BUSINESS & MONEY
- Ben Bernanke: Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke said Wednesday at a congressional hearing that recent stress tests of banks assured regulators that financial institutions aren't hiding potential huge losses. (PM update)
- 6 Million Blackjack: An Atlantic magazine profile on Don Johnson (the high roller, not the actor) focused on his incredible 2011 blackjack streak and how he has been hanging out with Bon Jovi and Charlie Sheen. See the Odd News video. Related searches: 6 million blackjack winner, Revel Atlantic City.
- 500th space tourist : Ashton Kutcher is the 500th passenger to sign up for the Virgin Galactic trip into suborbital space.
- Form w-4 2012: Tax season is well underway.
- Roger Goodell: The NFL commissioner suspended Saints head coach Sean Payton for one season and former defensive coordinator Gregg Williams as a result of bountygate. Related searches: Sean Payton supsended, Saints coach suspended. (PM update)
- Messi: Spanish and Argentinian media hailed Barcelona's Lionel Messi on Wednesday as "a living legend" and "eternal" after the striker became the club's highest goalscorer of all time. (PM update)
- Denver Broncos: The Broncos have signed Peyton Manning and traded Tim Tebow to The NY Jets. Related searches: Tebow Jets, Tebow trade rumors, Mark Sanchez, Tebowing. (PM update)
- Fabrice Muamba: The Bolton footballer's ongoing recovery from a cardiac arrest was labelled "miraculous" on Wednesday, as the doctors who battled to save his life revealed he was "effectively dead" for more than an hour. (PM update)
- Obama's NCAA Bracket: Obama's picks are in the 98th percentile. (PM update)
- Brittney Griner: Became only the second woman to dunk in an NCAA game in Baylor's win over Florida State. (PM update)
- A-Rod: Alex Rodriguez, one of MLB's highest-paid players, spent nearly $18K on his niece a posh NYC boutique only to find out his sister thought the gift much too much. A-Rod will make roughly $21,948 per regular-season inning this year. (PM update)
- Hines Ward: Wide receiver Hines Ward is retiring as a "Steeler for Life."
- Roy Williams: UNC coach Roy Williams says his team is 100% prepared to play without injured point guard Kendall Marshall.
- Alex Smith: QB Alex Smith has agreed to the terms of a roughly $24 million three-year contract with the 49ers.
- Gilbert Arenas deal: The Memphis Grizzlies have signed former Orlando Magic veteran guard Gilbert Arenas to a contract.
- Marston Hefner: Plead no contest to a charge of domestic violence stemming from a fracas with his Playmate girlfriend Claire Sinclair .He is scheduled to be sentenced June 12. (PM update)
- Reese Witherspoon: The actress is reportedly pregnant with husband Jim Toth. (PM update)
- Megan Piper: Porn star Megan Piper has accepted an invitation to be prom date for Mike Stone, an 18-year-old high school senior from Minnesota after her asked her via Twitter in a post and story that has gone viral. (PM update)
- Motley Crue: KISS and Motley Crue announce summer tour called simply, "The Tour." (PM update)
- Constance Francesca Hilton: Zsa Zsa Gabor's daughter has asked a judge on Tuesday to place her mother in a conservatorship that will independently control her mother's medical care and financial needs. Related searches: Zsa Zsa Gabor, Zsa Zsa Gabor's daughter. (PM update)
- R Kelly: The singer is delivering more chapters of "Trapped in the Closet." (PM update)
- Dwarf Tossing: Famous little couple Jen Arnold and Bill Klein condemned dwarf tossing on Anderson Cooper's talk show Tuesday.
- Bethany Joy Galeotti: Actress Bethany Galeotti of "One Tree Hill" is divorcing her musician husband Michael Galeotti and will be changing her name back to Bethany Joy Lenz.
- Katniss Everdeen: The heroine of "The Hunger Games" book series and movie is played by Jennifer Lawrence. The highly anticipated film opens this weekend.
- The Situation: A rep for Mike "The Situation" Sorrentino of "Jersey Shore" says the reality star is in rehab for "exhaustion" and not drug abuse as has been rumored. Related searches: The situation rehab
- Jamie Waylett jailed: Actor Jamie Waylett who appeared in six of the Harry Potter movies will spend up to two years in jail for his participation in the London riots last summer.
HIGHLIGHTS FROM AROUND THE WEB
Late update: What's popular on Yahoo!, Twitter, Google Trends, CNN, BBC, Hollywood Reporter, and other sources
Yahoo! News Most Popular
- 'Don't Re-Nig' purveyor Paula Smith says bumper sticker isn't racist
- How Many Facebook Friends Do You Have? Study Links Narcissism and Facebook Activity
- Mysterious Booms and Trembles Plague Wisconsin Town, Baffle Scientists
- 911 tape reveals possible racial slur in Fla. teen killing
- Job seekers getting asked for Facebook passwords
- The Court Case that Could Cost Obama the Election
- President Obama uses sign language during impromptu greeting with student
- Abu Ghraib guard Lynndie England says of Iraqi prisoners she was convicted of abusing: 'They got the …
- Anti-smoking PSAs offer tips on life with a tracheotomy
- Idaho lawmaker sparks anger with abortion comments
Twitter Trends (USA)
CNN News Most Read
- Outrage, protests grow over shooting of unarmed Florida teen
- Zimbabwe activists fined for watching Arab Spring videos
- Pope's visit overshadowed by predecessor's legacy in Mexico
- Seeking the truth in an 'American' controversy
- 'Kony 2012' director suffered 'reactive psychosis,' family says
- Harry Potter actor jailed for 2 years over London riots
- NFL suspends New Orleans Saints coaches, GM for 'bounties' on opponents
- France killings suspect holds out against police siege
- Romney looks to seal the deal
- Video of toddler's screening at airport fuels criticism
Catch up with the latest Trending Now video