The updated report for the topics and people that are trending on
Yahoo! and across the Web for Tuesday, March 20, 2012.
Research by Search editors Wilfred Abellon, Mahlon Chute
- Oksana Makar: A Ukranian mother's decision to post a video of her interview with her hospitalized daughter has garnered controversy on both sides in a criminal case. The 18-year-old was gang-raped, choked, thrown into a ditch, and set on fire. The case has prompted protests over alleged sloppy police investigation. (PM update)
- Amelia Earhart: Hilary Clinton is backing a $500,000 attempt to search for the wreckage of Earhart's plane. The search is expected to focus on the Pacific Island of Nikumaroro, the site of a photo that may show landing gear protruding from the water. Finger bones, believed to have been Earhart's, were found on the island in 2010. Related searches: Amelia Earhart Nikumaroro.
- Leaf-Nosed Bat Vietnam: A new species of bat whose face bristles appear leaf-like has been discovered in Vietnam. The bat was actually discovered in 2008 but has not been genetically confirmed as a new species until now.
- Spring Equinox. March 20 marks the first day of spring. The vernal equinox also denotes one of two days in each year during which the length of day and night are almost equal. Merchandisers are celebrating the seasonal shift with freebies. Related searches: happy first day of spring; pagan spring equinox rituals; spring equinox 2012 pst, vernal equinox 2012 edt.
- Albert Einstein Manuscripts: The Hebrew University of Jerusalem is posting the scientific genius's manuscripts online. (PM update)
- Pope Shenouda: Thousands packed a Cairo cathedral for the late religious figure who had the respect of the Muslim majority. Related searches: Coptic Christian Pope Shenouda.
- Trayvon Martin: The family of the slain Florida teen has called for an investigation of his death. The case will be the subject of an investigation conducted by the FBI and the Department of Justice. The black high school junior was walking home from a store when he was fatally shot by neighborhood watchman George Zimmerman, who claimed self-defense. Related searches: Trayvon Martin police report, justice for Trayvon Martin, Trayvon Martin 911 , George Zimmerman Trayvon; witness in Trayvon Martin case; why was Zimmerman not arrested; who is Trayvon Martin; Zimmerman 911 call; Zimmerman petition for arrest; George Zimmerman arrested. Also: Stand Your Ground law, passed in 2005 to give citizens the right to meet force with force. (PM update)
- San Antonio Weather: A tornado struck 25 miles southwest San Antonio, damaging at least 50 homes on Tuesday. Storms in the Midwest and South have also left regions flooded. Above-normal tornadoes have been predicted for 2012, following a year that had been the deadliest tornado season. Related searches: san antonio tornado; dallas weather.
- Doppler Radar: The National Weather Service has announced an upgrade to its radar system. The service will now monitor storm patterns with dual polarization radar. The change in technology is expected to increase the accuracy of weather forecasting by creating a 3D image of weather conditions, while also monitoring debris in the air caused by tornadoes.
BUSINESS & SHOPPING
- Marmite: The New Zealand earthquakes closed a marmite factory last November, leading to a shortage. Relief for the spread won't be until July. (PM update)
- Fred Wilpon: The Mets owner has reached a settlement in the Bernie Madoff fraud lawsuit.(PM update)
- Wendy's beats Burger King: Wendy's bumped Burger King to take the No. 2 spot in U.S. hamburger restaurant sales.
- New iPad: The newest generation of the iPad has been making record sales, with up to three million units being sold within the first four days of preorders.
- Shaq Hoops: Shaquille O'Neal dumps his fiancée, "Flavor of Love" reality star, Hoopz and called security to escort her out. Never saw that coming. (PM update)
- Mike Wallace: No clear signs yet where the Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver may sign. Some speculation sees him joining Peyton Manning on the Denver Broncos.
- David Garrard: The Dolphins have announced that they have signed former Jaguars quarterback. Garrard was released by the Jaguars in September following his August 5 back injury. Related spikes: David Garrard back surgery, david garrard Jaguars; david garrard in miami.
- Miguel Cabrera: First baseman for the Detroit Tigers needed stitches after being struck by a ground ball in the face.
- Usain Bolt: Reuters reports that the triple gold-medal sprinter is looking to "London's thriving Jamaican community" to help him in his journey for another "monumental Olympic performance." Related spikes: how tall is Usain Bolt [Y]; usain bolt 100m; usain bolt 200m; usain bolt 2012 olympics qualifying.
- Fabrice Muamba: The 23-year-old English Premier League soccer player spent Monday night in intensive care following cardiac arrest during a match. Muamba is said to be improving and is now able to recognize his family and respond to questions. Related searches: did fabrice muamba die; espn muamba bolton; fabrice muamba cardiac arrest; fabrice muamba collapse video; fabrice muamba condition; fabrice muamba religion.
- Jeremy Lin: The New York Knicks point guard and Volvo have announced a two-year endorsement deal for a marketing partnership.
- Michael Bay: "The Transformers" director faces fan backlash ( "Sacrilegious!" cried one) after revealing his plans for the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie. Bay's response: "Chill." (PM update)
- Hugh Grant: After five months, the British actor reveals the name of the baby he fathered with actress Tinglan Hong. (PM update)
- Kirk Cameron: The "Growing Pains" star said he "loves all people" after telling CNN host Piers Morgan that homosexuality is "ultimately destructive to so many of the foundations of civilization." (PM update)
- Harry Potter Station: King's Cross Railway Station in London has recently undergone an $875 million renovation, including a new Platform 9-3/4 for fans of the Harry Potter series.
- Beyoncé: Beyoncé has announced the dates for her first concerts following the birth of her daughter Blue Ivy. She will start off with three May concerts in Atlantic City, New Jersey.
- DWTS: Season 14 of the dance competition premiered Monday night. Among those making an impression: Katherine Jenkins, a Welsh opera singer and dancing partner of Mark Ballas, made the top of the leaderboard with her foxtrot performance. Donald Driver, the 37-year-old NFL player, is matched with dance professional Peta Murgatroyd. Not making an impression: the all-time low ratings. Related searches: dancing with the stars season 14.
HIGHLIGHTS FROM AROUND THE WEB
Late update: What's popular on Yahoo!, Twitter, Google Trends, CNN, BBC, Hollywood Reporter, and other sources.
Yahoo! News Most Popular
• Gingrich says De Niro's 'white first lady' crack is 'inexcusable'
• Higher than Romney: Santorum numbers up with GOP
• Lawyer says Afghan killings suspect recalls little
• Republican budget targets taxes, Medicare
• Tornado in San Antonio damages 50 homes
• Romney's odds in Illinois safe as polls open
• Obama reaches out to Iranians, hits their government for censorship
• Amelia Earhart mystery: Photo launches renewed discovery effort
• French school killer may have filmed shootings
• Woman blinded by shopping cart dropped by teens forgives them
The Hollywood Reporter
• Aziz Ansari Follows Louis C.K. DIY Model, Offers Comedy Special Directly to Fans
• TV Ratings: 'Dancing With the Stars' Returns Low, Takes a Small Share of 'The Voice'
• 'Last Samurai' Trial Begins: What's the Value of a Good Idea in Hollywood?
• Michael Bay Responds To Fans Outrage Over Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Alien Announcement
• Analysts Still See Disney Stock as a 'Buy' Despite 'John Carter' Loss
• Starz Renews 'Magic City' Ahead of Period Drama's April Premiere
• Kirk Cameron Calls Piers Morgan Insensitive Over Anti-Gay Interview Broadcast, Host Fires Back
• 'Lost' Director Jack Bender Exits Paramount's Jack Ryan Movie
• Dan Aykroyd Announces New Film With Chevy Chase
• Do Juvenile Killers Deserve Life Behind Bars?
• Grieving Afghan Father: 'All My Dreams Are Buried'
• For A Personal Cause, Casino Owner Bets On Gingrich
• Rep. Ryan Says New GOP Budget Plan 'Offers Real Solutions Again'
• Trayvon Martin Killing To Be Investigated By Florida Grand Jury
• 'Justice Will Be Done,' Pentagon Official Says Of Afghan Massacre
• Native Alaskans Divided On State's Oil Drilling Debate
• Dozens Killed By More Bombings In Iraq; 'Deadliest Day' In A Month
• How Do Racial Attitudes Affect Opinions About The Health Care Overhaul?
• House GOP Unveils Budget Blueprint
Catch up with the latest Trending Now video
Passport lost for 60 years found and returned to owner