Under fire for reported allegations of sexual harassment during his tenure at the National Restaurant Association in the 1990s, Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain has raised nearly $1 million since Monday, a source close to the campaign told Yahoo News. On Wednesday, the campaign launched a new Iowa-focused "moneybomb" fundraising effort in which the they hope to raise a million more.
The new fundraiser website does not refer to the harassment allegations specifically, but Cain's campaign staff alluded to the story in their announcement for the drive.
"The other Republican candidates, the liberal media, and even President Obama have begun to publicly attack Mr. Cain because they are intimidated by his '9-9-9 Plan,' " said Cain's Iowa State Chairman Steve Grubbs in an e-mail blast to supporters. "We expect the attacks to continue."
The site instead focuses on the upcoming caucus in Iowa, the first election of the Republican primary season. In a poll conducted last week by the Des Moines Register, Cain was statistically tied in the state with former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney.
The campaign hopes to raise another $999,999 by Nov. 9th, when Republicans will meet for another debate in Michigan.
More popular Yahoo! News stories: