In an interview with Matt Lauer ahead of the opening of George W. Bush's presidential library in April, former first lady Barbara Bush was asked how she felt about her son Jeb, the former governor of Florida, being a possible presidential candidate in 2016.
"We've had enough Bushes," Barbara Bush replied bluntly.
Her husband doesn't agree, at least according to Jeb.
In an interview that aired on Sunday's “This Week with George Stephanopoulos," Jeb Bush, who served two terms as governor of Florida, was asked what his father thought about his potential candidacy.
"What about your dad?" ABC's Jonathan Karl asked the former Florida governor. "Has he offered you any advice? Does he think you should run?"
"I think we've got a split ballot amongst the Bush Sr. family," Jeb Bush, 60, said with a laugh. "Pretty sure that's the case."
Jeb's brother, former President George W. Bush, has said he thinks Jeb should run for president.
Jeb, considered among several early contenders for the Republican nomination in 2016, has not ruled out a run for the White House, but says he won't decide until at least 2014.
"My thinking is not to think about it for a year," Jeb Bush said last month. "Life teaches you that you need to make decisions in the right time—not too early, not too late. ... I'll check in maybe a year from now, 15 months from now, something like that."
Earlier in the ABC interview, Jeb was asked about his 89-year-old father's failing health.
"I think it was hard at first for my dad to transition to being immobile," Jeb Bush said. "[But] I think he's found the right balance. I think he's in a good place, he's mentally alert, he's funny as all get out. He's spiritually in a place that we should all envy. He's more comfortable with his age. And that makes me happy."