Herman Cain's campaign is backing off its claim that a political aide to Rick Perry's presidential campaign tipped off reporters about harassment claims against Cain when he was head of the National Restaurant Association in the 1990s.
Mark Block, Cain's chief of staff, told Fox News that he accepts Curt Anderson's claim he didn't leak the story to Politico, which first reported the allegations against Cain on Sunday night.
"All the evidence we had pointed to Mr. Anderson being the source. We are absolutely thrilled that he came on your show said it wasn't him," Block said. "Mr. Cain has always had the utmost respect for him."
Block said Cain just wants to "move on with the campaign."
"Let's get over these things that don't mean anything to the American public," he told Fox News.
Block's comments come as Politico's Jonathan Martin reported more details about the settlement given to one of Cain's accusers. According to Politico, one of the accusers was paid $45,000 to settle harassment claims against Cain—far more than the two or three months salary that the Republican candidate had initially suggested.
That brings the total payout offered to Cain's accusers to $80,000 so far, as another accuser was paid $35,000 to settle her complaint against the former NRA head.
More popular Yahoo! News stories: